h22a timing belt adjustment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dtaila

My h22a swap engine is making a noise on idle but goes away at revs, a mechanic says he knows what it is and thinks it is the timing belt that needs adjustment.

the 96 model jdm h22a LSD prelude front clip i bought had the timing belt changed at the place i purchased it off for good measure (even though the h22a had only done 37500miles)
i have only travelled 700miles since the swap.

okay, i know where the adjuster is but which way do i turn it to tighten it and when do i know when its tensioned properly.

thanks.

i just ent through a really BAD time w/ mine i can tell you that it is a self adjusting tentioner and is VERRY hard to ge back in . we pulled my belt off and somehow it broke my waterpump! there is a spot where the pully for the belt bolts on to the waterpump and we broke it off ! not fun :angry:
so be carefull and good luck cuz i dont know how to loosen it

either consider redoing the entire timing belt job or leave it till something breaks.

The h22 has an autotensioner that tensions the belt ....well..automatically.

Was that replaced along with the belt?

In order to do the timing belt right you need to get the proper tool to compress the auto tensioner. You have to remove the auto tensioner, then on the bottom of the tensioner there is a small bolt that you have to remove, make sure you hold that end up. Once you remove that bolt you will see a small flat head screw inside the hole, use a small flat head and back the screw out, as you do this the piston on the tensioner will come up with the screw. if you don't have the tool then you have to come up with some way to hold it in place until you can put it back on. once you have it held in place replace the small bolt and place the tensioner back on the block, you can then release it and it will properly tension your belt. If you do not do this and you put it back on fully extended it will over tension your belt and eventually it will break. trust me i learned this the hard way.

Originally posted by project_accord@Mar 19 2004, 01:40 PM
In order to do the timing belt right you need to get the proper tool to compress the auto tensioner. You have to remove the auto tensioner, then on the bottom of the tensioner there is a small bolt that you have to remove, make sure you hold that end up. Once you remove that bolt you will see a small flat head screw inside the hole, use a small flat head and back the screw out, as you do this the piston on the tensioner will come up with the screw. if you don't have the tool then you have to come up with some way to hold it in place until you can put it back on. once you have it held in place replace the small bolt and place the tensioner back on the block, you can then release it and it will properly tension your belt. If you do not do this and you put it back on fully extended it will over tension your belt and eventually it will break. trust me i learned this the hard way.

you need to get the proper tool to compress the auto tensioner. You have to remove the auto tensioner, then on the bottom of the tensioner there is a small bolt that you have to remove, make sure you hold that end up. Once you remove that bolt you will see a small flat head screw inside the hole, use a small flat head and back the screw out, as you do this the piston on the tensioner will come up with the screw. if you don't have the tool then you have to come up with some way to hold it in place until you can put it back on

i actually did this buy puting a zip tie around the tentioner and VERRY carefully put it back in , once in cut the tie remove and fully tighten the bolts. i will tell you it took a few tries but after that i got pretty good at it.

Back