Had no idea 88 trannys were different than 89-91, need some quick help please.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Reboticon

Alright, I had no idea that the 88 trannys were 21 spline and the 89+ were 20 spline. Through various parts trading I have a lightweight 89+ flywheel, clutch and pressure plate When i went to mate them i realized the spline difference. I ordered just the friction disk and was planning on using it with the pressure plate and flywheel from the 89+.

This is the correct way to fix this scenario, right?(other than getting an89+ tranny)

Also,will I need to get 88 axles to match the tranny because of splines? Can i make my own with my current axles and junkyard ends? Thanks in advance

Alright, I had no idea that the 88 trannys were 21 spline and the 89+ were 20 spline. Through various parts trading I have a lightweight 89+ flywheel, clutch and pressure plate When i went to mate them i realized the spline difference. I ordered just the friction disk and was planning on using it with the pressure plate and flywheel from the 89+.

This is the correct way to fix this scenario, right?(other than getting an89+ tranny)

Also,will I need to get 88 axles to match the tranny because of splines? Can i make my own with my current axles and junkyard ends? Thanks in advance

The axles don't change. its just the spline count on the input shaft of the trans that's different.

so in other words if you have a 88 si trans you need a 88 si flywheel correct ?

No, an 88 friction disk. I am using a lightweight aftermarket flywheel and 89-91 pressure plate. The 88 pressure plate will only mate to the 88 flywheel (or so i am told) so you use an 89-91 pressure plate.

Thanks for the info about the splines guys! always lifesavers.

88 and 89 use the same flywheel which is for a 200mm diameter clutch - 90 and up use the same flywheel which is for a 212mm diameter clutch - if the flywheel you have is for the 200mm diameter clutch, you just need a 200mm diameter 88 Si clutch disc with a 200mm pressure plate, which can be either 88-89 Si, as they are the same - if you have a flywheel for the 212mm diameter clutch, you need 90 and up pressure plate and 88 Accord clutch disc which is 212mm with 21 splines - some aftermarket clutch companies, like ACT, offer a clutch kit with the 212mm pressure plate and 212mm clutch disc with 21 splines - the 212mm clutches will not bolt to the 88-89 200mm flywheel and vice versa (different bolt locations)

i originally read it that you had a 89 flywheel and clutch, but after rereading your post it sounds to me like you have a 90 and up, since you have a lightweight flywheel - not too many lightweight flywheels around for the 88-89 200mm clutch

Last edited:
yea it should work its just smaller and will use up less of the wear surface on the 212mm flywheel and pressure plate

cool thanks. Ill upgrade to the 212 later but im pretty much building this car from scratch (auto to manual conversion, dpfi->mpfi->obd1, etc etc) and id like to just get it up and running before i spend any more $$

Back