Headers... 4-2-1 or 4-1????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey I just sold my del sol and got a GSR yesterday but it's got a cracked header and it sounds like shit. I'm going to get another one off ebay either today or tomorrow but I don't know the difference between a 4-1 header or a 4-2-1. I know what the appearance difference is but does it affect the powerband? Please help asap!!!

A 4-2-1 header will help with midrange torque and power. A 4-1 will help your top end power.

I'd get a 4-2-1 if I were you for the GSR since it's tuned for mid range torque and top end power.

isnt the stock header 4-2-1? my B16A header was. I would just weld the crack back together on teh one you have now and not waste money.

yeah, from what ive seen headers that utilize the stock design usually net around 2-3 HP gain (unless they are damaged, as your case is).

If you want real gains, go with Endyn HyTech Exhaust. The custom ones are a lil over 1300, and the production ones are about 800. They net about 20-40 HP gains, so its definitely worth it for a NA solution

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jul 5 2005, 05:20 AM
whoa! no header is gonna give a Honda 20hp.
[post=520636]Quoted post[/post]​

True dat, but if you have an engine swap for performance, why would you want to just weld the stock header? That makes no sense to me.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 5 2005, 11:25 AM
4-1. fuck 4-2-1.

look at all the top of the line designs. they are all 4-1.
[post=520811]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, and guess what, they are all designed for top end gains. :slap: 4-2-1 gets my vote for your setup if it's just your DD. I agree with Brian, if you are looking for true race products, you will want 4-1. RMF makes awesome headers, look him up on HT and m24x forums. He is a super nice guy. Dave (SMSP) also makes awesome headers. These are the two guys yoou want to look to if you are going custom, although I do believe they offer production headers as well, at least Dave does. They retail for around 700. If you are on ebay, I'd just look for a DC 4-1, 4-2-1, or JDM type R mani.

I will third the 4-1 comment and second the Hytech comment. Actually, I lost count but you get the idea....

And I can't believe you guys still like rmf and smsp over hytech. Sure they are good, but hytech is the best. dyno proven. At least no one mentioned an-r... :ph34r:

The second link is the cliffnotes of the first. If you want the results dont bother with the first link.

Unless you are building a race car, those headers are are not cost effective for a daily driver that is looking for a little gain. JDM ITR header, and a solid exhaust set up is going to be about close to the top of the pile without getting into $500-$1500 header territory. Personally, if I wasn't building a race car, or at least one that was going to see a drag strip a couple times a month I would just go with a 4-2-1 or 4-1 DC, OEM JDM ITR. If you want to spend the extra cash most of those race headers have street collector versions.

That is what I said first. I'd just go with something inexpensive if it were a DD. 92b16vx, you said almost verbatim what I said in my first post.
:)

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jul 6 2005, 06:47 PM-->
That is what I said first. I'd just go with something inexpensive if it were a DD. 92b16vx, you said almost verbatim what I said in my first post.
:)
[post=521545]Quoted post[/post]​
Haha I noticed that after I posted and was scolling back down :lol:

pissedoffsol Posted Today
@ 06:54 PM
i have an an-r w/ street collector for sale

<---Wants it :(

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 6 2005, 10:54 AM
i have an an-r w/ street collector for sale :p
[post=521555]Quoted post[/post]​

AN-R makes good stuff now, btw. The cracking issue is no longer an issue for them, if you have read about that previously.
:D

Back