HELP!!!!1993 Del Sol Brake Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's been a long time since I've replied to this, and I've done a lot of work to the car, including replacing all of the rubber lines with stainless steel ones. The car stops fine just continues to have a really low pedal. I'm not really worrying about it to much anymore because no matter what I've done it's still about the same, a little quicker stopping since the new lines. If anything comes up let me know, but i've tried everything and it's not worth the headaches as long as it stops. Appreciate all the input though

You can check is the rubber gasket around the pistons on your calipers sometimes they get wrinkled but that is only if the brakes get super bad and the piston extends all the way. And not to be a dick but the bleeder valve on the 4th caliper that you didn't replace. possibly check that.

It's alright man any input is appreciated. We actually checked all of the seals around the calipers and the bleeder valves, none of them are leaking or damaged. I checked the valve to the brake booster and it is working properly with plenty of vacuum and even tried disconnecting the booster, which makes the pedal harder but you still have to push the pedal a ways to get the car to stop. As a recap to what we have done over the past year; replaced all of the calipers, replaced the rubber lines with stainless steel, replaced the power booster, replaced the master cylinder 3 times to make sure they were functioning properly, the master cylinder was bench bled by my uncle who is a mechanic, the lines were bled about 50 times including with a power bleeder, all the brakes pads were replaced, the steel lines were trailed from the master cylinder all the way back to make sure there were no leaks. The car will stop on a dime, but the pedal travels almost to the floor to do so. I've tried everything I know and I'm open to anymore advice. :confused:

If I can think of anything I will let you know brakes are my area of expertise but most likely your uncle knows more than I do.

95 del sol

I just replace the rear caliper's.After that I received the same brake problem, the pedal is jump in.Found out: one caliper is impossible bleeding, lot of air is coming out but there is no leak. It is a re manufactured of course , so maybe is the reason of the fault.

Sorry , English is not my first language.

Well we are back at it again trying to fix the problem, I replaced the proportioning valve with an oem one from hondaautomotiveparts.com aka majestic honda. Actually this time the brakes got worse, so we went through and re bench bled the master cylinder and the entire system. The pedal seemed to stiffen up a little bit but as you hold pressure it sinks, makes me think about the master cylinder again, but i'm not jumping to that conclusion again. I am considering just eating the one i bought from advance and getting one straight from the dealer. I'm not sure what the best route is to go anymore I have done or helped do brakes in several different cars and this is the only one i'm having issues with. One of my cars even has a snapped emergency brake cable but has a better pedal then this one. The next step may be to head on in to the dealer to have someone with a background on these cars to take a look at this, but i'm really scared to get that bill. I appreciate all the posts and feel free to keep spouting out ideas I am open to anything you think.

Alright so I had a little free time today and did some research read an article about rotors which got me to think that I should change mine. The ones in the rear of the car were wore a little uneven so I went and got a new set, threw them on, and noticed one rear caliper was ridiculously stiff with the new rotors (which were a lot bigger than the ones on it, I think the kid before me had them shaved or something because they were a lot skinnier) and the other caliper wasn't stopping at all. So luckily they were warrantied, took them back to advance got two new rear calipers along with the new rotors in the rear, threw them on, and bled them out. I don't have a full pedal but the car stops a lot better and responds a lot quicker, instead of having to push through the floor to get it to stop it stops at about 1/2 pedal, locks up the brakes really nicely for those quick stops. My next step is to replace the front rotors and I need to get a new center e-brake cable because part of the threads on the console adjustment were broken off and i can't get it adjusted exactly where i want it. I figured i'd post this in hopes it helps someone else.

Same problem happen to my 95 delsol si 2 weeks ago, I also changed 2 MC, all 4 Calipers, SS lines, HPS Pads and Power Slot rotors all around, and still no paddle when engine running and it's almost impossible to lock up the tires. If you got yours fix, please PM me, Thanks

What I ended up finding with mine was that the rear calipers were backing away from the pads and leaving way to much play in the wheels. Normally you will pick up some drag from the brakes but I had absolutely none which was resulting in the Piston going back or forth to far on the one caliper to the point that it was letting the pads move around. I changed the caliper and noticed a large improvement in the brakes so I would suggest maybe checking the calipers and the amount of free wheel, don't just assume that new parts are working properly, I had to replace two calipers that were remanufactured because they didn't work properly. I still don't have a hard pedal but it's firmer and stops on a dime.

$1500 and I'll let you all know what happens

local dealer.... master brake and power booster.
Master brake leaking into power booster replace both.
Bled / Flush lines
Oh by the way... your outter tie rods need replacement...:mad:

So I said okay... give me a better deal and I'll think about it.
Stay tuned...

I went thru the exact same scenario i jus fixed the problem today low and behold i had thefront two calipers in reverse had the left one on the right side n vice versa switched em and bingo fixed the problem. Check the calipers theyre marked with either L or R and make sure there on there appropiate side. Again i went thru the exact same scenario had the exact same problems hopefully this the fix for everyone

Back