Help after LSVTEC Swap - CEL Code 21

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Okay so here it goes... I finished my LSVTEC swap last night around 2am: :sleep

- obd2a 99 teggy
- obd1 b16a3 head
- ECUHACKER.COM LsVtec Chipped ECU w/ conversion harness(2a - 1)

I started it up and it ran awesome!! Except when I drove it, NO VTEC!! :( it was overheating and not blowing any hot air from the vents, we swapped the coolant temp sensor on the head with the LS one, added alot of antifreeze(was bone dry) and I figured that would make vtec engage seeing as pretty sure vtec needed somewhere around 128 degrees to activate so I drove it, still no vtec and CEL still on, so this morning I got in it to drive it and I noticed the speedo wasnt working, I checked the VSS and BAM!!!! Plugged it in but...DAMN! Still no vtec...I decided @ this point to jump the ecu for codes and I got code 21 which I'm pretty sure is VTEC Solenoid, Right? But I'm not sure seeing that my ECU is OBDI. Is 21, VTEC Solenoid, is a OBDII code or is it the same for both I and II??

I would appreciate help from both those that have done LSVTEC's and those who havent and might still know thier shit 'bout em'

**I also had to use my stock LS TB for somereason and had to rig up 1 of the vacuum sensors that come from the IM for some reason, does anyone know from first hand experience about this particular custom sensor on 99 Teg LSVTEC's???

Thanks is Advance :D --- Mark {Connecticut}

Trace the wires from the ECU to the solenoid. Something is not hooked up right.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 23 2005, 11:04 AM
Trace the wires from the ECU to the solenoid. Something is not hooked up right.
[post=502496]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea but its only 1 wire, I bought a chipped ecu from ecu hackers.com and they gave me a 1 wire vtec upgrade, which is disabling the vtp sensor and running 1 wire directly out of the actual ecu casing and I THINK hr said just run the 1 wire from the vtec solenoid to that black wire coming out and thats it, thats what i paid the extra 20 dollars for was the 1 wire vtec upgrade...but I hope i did it right? Im trying to get a hold of lee from ecuhackers.com but no response yet and I WANT SOME DAMN VTEC!! :angry:

Well, you're into something modified that I haven't used, I can point you in a general direction, but other than that, they guy that made it is your best bet without being there to see it.

Best I can ssay, is test the solenoid hooked up like he told you, make sure it is working and troubleshoot it from there. Make sure the connections are solid, and correct.

i just tested the ohms on the solenoid, 18 which is good he said, now im goin outside to check operation of it but 12v'n it real quick to see if it coloses/opens...be right back all replies keep em comoin

i just tested the ohms on the solenoid, 18 which is good he said, now im goin outside to check operation of it but 12v'n it real quick to see if it coloses/opens...be right back all replies keep em comoin

well my guy who did my ecu agreed to take it back and send me a new one (ecuhacker.com) well see how that goes, thats the only thing it could be...

Originally posted by JayDeeEmDC4@May 23 2005, 05:15 PM
I THINK hr said just run the 1 wire from the vtec solenoid to that black wire coming out and thats it,
[post=502500]Quoted post[/post]​

If the ECU you have disables the pressure switch than all that's left is the solenoid, you need to connect it to the grn/yel coming off the solenoid, not the black one (if you meant the black wire coming off the solenoid), the black wire doesn't even go to the ECU.

Try that and let us know.

Pressure switch is BLU/BLK, solenoid is GRN/YEL

No i meant the black wire coming out of the ecu that they chipped, they bring a black wire directly out of the ecu for ease of wiring(so you dont have to put it in the pin)

I ran that black wire coming out of the ecu to the green yellow wire on the solenoid and...no workie!

I sent my ecu back to the guy who chipped it he said it could be th ecu, so he sent me a new one overnight, should be here tomarrow. Yesss!

***But one more thing, I dont know if anyone is familiar with the little dowel pin and o ring in the dead center of the head underneath the cam caps and cam assembly but I am missing it and my friend told me that is what builds the pressure in the rocker arms to activate oil pressure for vtec, will this still effect my vtec even though my vtp sensor is disabled??***

The Head Oil Control Orifice. Not familiar with it. Did you lose yours, or did your motor not come with it?

lost in the process to and from machine shop...ordered 2 sets today from honda for me and my friend(his doesnt have it either thats why when we put my motor together he said it should be okay) but then again his vtec doesnt work either and he had no idea why but now we know why!! haa.

Overnighted from Brandfon Honda in Branford CT. Will arrive tomarrow by noon. So hopefully my ecu will be here too tomaroow by noon and i will be running 100%.

Back