help! connecting rod trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

first off, don't make your photos private, we can't see them.

Second, the wrist pins are pressed into the rods, you need a special press to get the wrist pins out so that you can eremove the piston., doing it wrong WILL crack the piston or bend the rod.

In some cases the rod is heated to expand the metal to slide the pin in. I'd assume this can be done to remove them. Not sure if that's how honda's are done...

In some cases the rod is heated to expand the metal to slide the pin in. I'd assume this can be done to remove them. Not sure if that's how honda's are done...

I wouldn't even try it, you can stress the rod and make it unusable, I don't think that I have ever heard of this being done since the metal is heat treated to withstand the stresses of internal combustion, even the slightest mistake would make it tempered or weak, causing disasterous results.

Like I said above, honda wrist pins are pressed onto the rods with the piston in place, no heat is used and unless you have access to the proper press, I wouldn't even try it. Pay the 20 or 30 bucks to have a machine shop do it.

nice video, I have never seen it done that way before, again I am a honda tech, and we press ours. I have worked on alot of other engines but have never had to remove the piston from the rod.
Im wondering now though how do the remove it, that setup obviously heats the rod evenly, with the piston in the way you wouldn't be able to heat evenly and probably not be able to remove the wrist pin. maybe they are cheap enough that if something does need removal you just replace as a unit. I don't know what those were for, but look like v8 something, which are usually alot cheaper.

Cool.

Back