Help needed for my gsr jdm swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seephor

I am trying to drop a JDM OBD1 motor swap into a 97 OBD2 integra. And here's the situation. The JDM motor has the engine wire harness on it but I noticed the connector locations are swapped from left to right and right to left. Well first off I'm confused. Before I drop the motor in I need to know if it will even be possible to use my OBD2 ECU harness with the OBD1 JDM engine harness. The ECU I have is OBD1 that came with the JDM swap. Since my car is OBD2 and I'm in California, the CHP station and passing emissions are going to drive me crazy so I was thinking to just convert everything to OBD2 so that would mean to remove the JDM Engine harness, find myself a OBD2 USDM engine harness and plug it up. and get a USDM OBD2 ECU. I also noticed there's no EVAP Purge solenoid on the JDM motor and I'll probably need that to pass emissions and there's no connector for it on the JDM harness either. What do you guys suggest I do to get everything working right?

If you are in Cali the motor won't pass.

If you still want to use it, use the harness that is in your car now, the injectors from your D series motor (they are the same), and score yourself an OBD II USDM ECU, and OBD II distributor. Add the vtec and IAB wires run them into the harness for stock look. If you use all the right emissions parts (cat, ECU, etc...) you may be able to squeak by the BAR if you get the right guy.

Hmm yea I was afraid of that but I seem to be stuck with it now. I either sell it and find a USDM or try my best to get it approved. It would be nice knowing you have a legal JDM motor heh. Oh Another question. How would you go about telling the year of the motor? I was looking around the motor and I noticed a 96/1/15/10 marking on the head. Would that mean it's a 96? Only thing I could find on the block was a serial number.

wihtout the vin tag of the car its from, and paper work to match it, its kinda impossible. and you should have that too for cali.
god that state sucks.

all the legal stuff behind. Will a USDM OBD2 engine wire harness work on a JDM motor? meaning will the plugs fit into all the sensors etc?

Yes the plugs fit (if they are a like OBD), and it is a 96.

I looked at the service manual and the JDM motor to see what it has and what is missing and found that the CKF sensor and the VTEC pressure switch sensor are missing. The VTEC pressure switch sees the same signal as the VTEC solenoid 0V at low RPM 12V at high rpm so the hack is to just connect them together to trick the ECU. As for the CKF, I did research and found that I will need a USDM oil pump which accepts the CKF sensor. I did a search and scored myself a GSR oil pump with the CKF on it for a fairly good price. I also need the EVAP Purge solenoid for emissions (still need let me know if anyone has one). Is there anything else I should be aware of besides those three things?? I'm planning to hack up the JDM wire harness, most things are already wired correctly when I plug them in but I know I'm going to have to run wires for the CKF and EVAP sensors. Anything I'm missing here besides my head for trying to do this swap?

Technically, there is no Integra GS-R is Japan, but the motor is the same. Over there, it is called the Integra SiR or SiR-G and is powered by a 178hp, 129lb-ft version of the B18C. Exactly the same engine as USDM GS-R only its compression is 10.6:1.

Back