help, stuttering dual carb 1.4l d14a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Problem is.... at low rpms under anything more than slight throttle, it stalls. in order to get it to take off in first gear, i have to give it decent revs and release slowly. under heavy throttle, it may stutter occasionally until around 4g's, and then it is solid all the way through. any ideas?

my brain is racked, and i can't seem to make much sense out of it. it seem like it is regular on startup, yet once i'm moving it becomes inconsistent, and less likely to happen if i slowly squeeze the pedal. but seriously, the startups require focus and patients to keep it from stalling.

you may be asking... where did i get ahold of a d14a1? europe. had a lady contact me to repair a head gasket in exchange for the car. she was just going to junk it. head gasket change was a success, but the stalling problem has been present since before. i seriously doubt they are related.

anyway, it's a cool little car, and i am amazed at how snappy it is. i've owned two crx si's which were at one point stock, and i really don't feel much difference in power. plus the dual carbs sound kind of neat. definitely has a growl. and the car has power windows, sun roof, and oddly enough, power steering, which does noticeably take the feel out of the corners...

any ideas are much appreciated!

ok, thanks for that. i guess the next challenge is either doing it without a manual or finding one which includes dual carbs. any advice on either finding a manual or do's and don'ts of carb maintenance? thanks!

hey i would really like to see this car can you post a few pics?

carbs are pretty simple, just take them apart and clan everything paying special attn to the jets and needles, make sure the needles are smooth and not wore/notches in them, that can cause idle/running problems. if you want a manual try to find out what brand of carbs they are it should be stamped somewhare. the first thing i would do is check for air leaks with some carb cleaner.and like asked before..PICS PICS!! LOL

ok, nice one guys. i'm happy about the interest. it seems to be running better the more i use it. i'm not sure i want to tear the carbs apart just yet, but i'll see how it goes.

i'm going to try to get the car cleaned up today and maybe get some photos. it doesn't look too great, just an EF hatch. but if it's the carbs you are interested in seeing, i will get those as well. some japanese brand... (go figure). :D

pictures will be coming...

i took the top off the carburetors, and was able to inspect the needles and jets. everything looks immaculate.

i'm starting to think that maybe the jets are pumping too much fuel when i first step on the pedal, and at low rpms the engine is simply being flooded. is this a possibility, and if so, can you direct me towards adjustment?

cheers....

blasterman, thanks for that. it does seem like the gas mileage could be better as well, although the car seems quicker than i would expect...

photo.php
photo.php
photo.php
photo.php

ok, next question... what is the easiest way to publish photos on here? i've tried publishing them on the web and copy/paste the url... noobish i know

you can attach images to your posts.

Attachments

• Attachment help- hondaswap.jpg
    Attachment help- hondaswap.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 538
Now looking for... an edm or jdm shop manual for the d14a1 carbureted. they are KeiHin carburetors, and KeiHin does not have a direct web site, nor does the internet have any manuals for this specific civic. it's an odd ball, being a d-series with a carburetor. is anyone able to source a manual online maybe from a japanese site? any help is much appreciated... i'm pretty sure the carbs are pumping too much fuel in when you first touch the pedal, and before i go tearing them apart i would like to know exactly what i'm doing, and how to adjust the amount of fuel being pumped in. thanks!!

i found specs on your engine,
D14A1 (PMC-9 cyl haed)
1396cc
SOHC 16v
2x Keihin VF33 SU carbs
90hp @ 6300rpm
112nm @ 4500rpm
bore-75.0 mm
stroke-79.0 mm
comp ratio-9.3:1

thats about all i could find, nothing on the carbs... maybe type keihin an email and ask for info.. they have a site its just atv/motorcycle based

and if no ones changed anything in the carbs, and it just started messing up then it has to be something going wrong like the floats or dirt, and also could be a air leak..carbs just dont go out of tune by themselves

An old hotrod trick you might try is to take some smooth jawed pliers and pinch off the rubber fuel line to one carburetor while it is running untill it stalls out 2 cylinders. than let the fuel line go and as soon as the engine picks up and runs on all 4 do the other carb. This trick worked wonders on my old prelude with the dual side draft carburetors when I was having problems with flooding. Also try running some good carburetor cleaner through them. You could have a restriction in your jets. Are these carburetors fixed or variable venturi? Side or top draft?

Back