Help With A Crx Engine Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

iluvmyCRX

Im a high school student on a budget and I have a 91 CRX DX and I want to swap in the jdm B16a engine into my car, but I need some help. The swap Im getting comes with the stock motor mounts, will they work on my car or do I have to get different ones? And what else do I need to get if it comes with the axles, tranny, ecu, and wiring harness? Before I jump into this I will need a close cost estimate and what parts I need so any help will be appreciated.

the motor mounts it comes with are the mounts from the siR crx. they WONT fit in your crx. you need hasport mounts and the hasport shift linkage. also, im not sure about this, but you may have to convert to mpfi since the dx is dpfi. that should be it as long as you get the complete swap and if you dont have to replace anything on the engine...

cost estimate:
hmotors online sells a package with the complete engine (tranny, harness etc) the hasport mounts, and the hasport shift linkage for some where around $1400-1500, plus shipping. so i would expect to pay around $2000 incase anything needs to be replaced

Thanks for the info. I called hmotors and they also said I would need a different wiring harness. The complete swap comes with one I believe, will this one not work?? Also, I talked to someone who told me that the stock motor mounts that come with it will work if I just welded them on, will this work alright or is it a bad idea?

Keep in mind, you can sell the SiR harness and motor mounts, as well as the D series on ebay, someone will want it :)

i really dont know too much about this swap because i have never done it my self, ive just read a thing or two about it.

hasport makes a harness that can be used for b16a's in 88-91 crx's, but its another $250...

and i also am not sure about the stock mounts, but if you have the money you should just go for the hasport mounts.

Ok, a few more questions, about how much is a fair price to sell the old engine for if its got 110,000 miles and will I need new hubs? If I do need new hubs like SI hubs, where can I get them online? Im wanting to start ordering parts pretty soon and since Im a high school senior about to enter college, I want to get by with doing it with as little money as possible, but it not being a crappy job.

u dont need hubs because it's a dx but u will have fun playing with the wiring to get it from dpfi to mpfi which means from 2 injectors to 4 injectors but theres many sites that show u how to do this and another hoop is wireing vtec and that is just another obstical..but id have someone that has done the dpfi to mpfi b4 to help u out with that i did it my self but i had printed every site on the net that had to do with this topic..search in google or yahoo for "dx to zc" and many pages will come out the main page that helped me out had a diagram in excel from that showed the plug's and showed what to modify with diagrams......

Originally posted by shibby@Jan 31 2003, 04:26 AM
the motor mounts it comes with are the mounts from the siR crx. they WONT fit in your crx. you need hasport mounts ...

Hmmm...are you sure the mounts won't fit,or do you think it could be the motor won't fit under a US hood with the mounts?You don't need to answer this question.

Originally posted by shibby@Feb 1 2003, 01:48 AM
<_< . are you sure you dont want an answer??

Quite sure,for us here it is as easy as going to the Honda scrapyard and swapping them out in his garage,there are vti's and 1.6-I6 all over.Both with DOHC,ones vtec the other is not,they changeover real easy.

So does anybody know if the stock JDM mounts will work? Or more important, whether with the mounts I could use my stock hood?

those mounts will not work. the car those will fit is the ef8 crx or integ vxi from those years.also your dpfi to mpfi conversion can be researched at hybrid honda website . its not a hood clearance thing either the mounting bracket are in diff spots. do it right w/ good mounts. you didn't mention the ecu, do you have a pwo or pr3 ecu to use if not you can get one from z dyne w/ one wire vtec hookup and the correct obd0 program for your chassis and motor choice.

Originally posted by geniusanthony@Feb 1 2003, 06:00 PM
those mounts will not work. the car those will fit is the ef8 crx or integ vxi from those years......its not a hood clearance thing either the mounting bracket are in diff spots...

CRX ED9 1,6 o. Kat. 130 88-89
CRX ED9 1,6 124 89-92
CRX EE8 1,6 Vtec 150 90-92
That motor came in the VTi (EE8) and will fit the other two,maybe in the states they don't,but they do here.

Back