Help with VSS check engine light!!! (long)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i am having a problem with my speedo and vss. i have a 93 del sol (s) with a 93 del sol (si) d16z6 and 95 civic (ex auto) ecu and 95 civic (si hatch) tranny (5spd). basically swaped motors and tranny into car, plugged ecu in, added vtec wires, drove car for a while with c.e.l. b/c auto ecm. speedo worked. car sat for a while. did the ecu mod to remove auto c.e.l. (speedo not working at this time) swapped another vss. no speedo. figured bad vss so took vss out of my girls civic (i know this one works, was working until car was totaled @ 5:30 tonite :angry: ) and still no speedo but no check engine and no vtec. any ideas???

oh yeah tested all wires, 12+ is there, ground is there, and continuity between signal wire on the vss plug to ecm good. possibly bad connection on the cluster? does have 180K on chassis.

you can check your VSS pretty easily.
pull/splice into the VSS signal wire.
Connect one terminal of a multimeter to the signal wire. Connect the other to a positive voltage.

Start moving the car SLOWLY. You should see the sensor pulse to gnd (zero volts) as it moves. The rate of pulsing should increase with speed.

oh yeah, if you don't have a VSS code, in all likelyhood your sensor is fine and you have a cluster wiring problem. The ECU is very quick to complain about a bad VSS.

Back