Hey All You Obd2 Guys, I Need Your Input.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AllMotorMonster

I am currently working on a OBD1 ecu, that has OBD2 plugs on it already.

Now, I know Hondata has a similar unit, but this would look completely stock.

Here's the question.

a- Would you be interested in this?
b- What would you expect to pay?

These ecu's could be chipped, or set up for Hondata.

Cliff notes- Programmable OBD1 ecu in a OBD2 car without a harness adapter, capable of being chipped or use with Hondata.

Are you interested?
What would you expect to pay?

We would have ecu's available for VTEC and Non-VTEC engines.

TIA.

im not sure i follow.

so this thing is going to have obd1-style plugs, but operate obd2 motors?

if so- whats the point?

all obd2 is in all reality- an extra 02 sensor after the cat.

Since you can buy the adapters pretty cheap anyway,I wouldn't think it would be cost effective,for you that is.After the cost of the ECU (something the harness adapters don't have) and your time,it seems like you'd have to charge to much.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 17 2003, 11:36 AM
im not sure i follow.

so this thing is going to have obd1-style plugs, but operate obd2 motors?

if so- whats the point?

all obd2 is in all reality- an extra 02 sensor after the cat.

Just the opposite.

OBD2 plugs, OBD1 ecu.

No harness adapter necessary.

Plug and play

well, adapter harnesses go for 150-200. if its cheaper than that, there will be a market. otherwise, i doubt they will sell well.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 18 2003, 01:53 AM
well, adapter harnesses go for 150-200. if its cheaper than that, there will be a market. otherwise, i doubt they will sell well.

No, no.... I think maybe I'm not saying what I mean correctly.

Ok, so if you already have an OBD1 ecu, then all you need is an adapter right?

But what I'm talking about is a whole OBD1 ecu, with OBD2 plugs on it.

Does that make more sense now?

So instead of buying a ECU for $150, then an adapter harness for say $175, and THEN either getting it chipped or buying a Hondata system, you get it all in one package.

obd2ecu.jpg

hondata did it. like he stated earlier.

Originally posted by lourock930@Apr 5 2003, 11:12 PM
i would be willing to buy for $200 , sign me up sounds like a good idea

I've been selling them for $375-400.

Less than Hondata, and everyone that has bought one so far loves it.

What would u charge if we supplied our own p28. I think I could find one pretty cheap.

-vudu

OK, I got a stupid question. I am probally not understanding all of this right but from what i am getting. If you have an OBD2 car and you buy an engine with an OBD1 and an OBD1 ECU you can buy a set up from hondata or from allmotormonster that converts the ECU to OBD2. If all you have to do in order to change it out and 'plug and play' as he said then why is it every one recomends that you buy same OBD as your car. Or what wiring headaches is everyone talking about? I always undertood to change the engine from OBD1 to OBD2 was very difficult and not really worth the hassel.

Please help me out thanks,
RejecK

the whole point of this is to use an obd1 ecu with obd2 pinouts (on an obd2 motor) in an obd2 car.

the headaches come from other parts--- mainly, the engine harness. if you drop an obd2 motor in your obd1 car, your distributor, alternator, and injector plugs simply won't plug in. they are the wrong plug size and the dizzy is wiried a little different (2 pieces vs 1).
obd1 motor in an obd1 car plugs right in.
obd2 motor in an obd1 car requires both a harness or this ecu, as well as either re-wireing/soldering the new plugs on, or getting obd2 alt/dizzy/injector clips

Back