High Comp Pistons = Bad Idle?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lynxs1981

Hey all, I just dropped in a set of JE 12.5 high comp pistons and eagle rods into my 99 GSR. Since I put them in it hasnt wanted to idle right. Sometimes it will hold around 650- 750, where it should be. But usually while Im driving it drops out and dies, usually when I pull to a stoplight and hit the clutch. Any ideas? Also, its hard to start when it's hot. Should I invest in a high torque starter? Thanks

what other mods do you have? also, are you using any fuel management? Obviously, you are going to have higher engine temps and pressure. preignition is a possible source of problems. please elaborate on your setup, and what you think the problem might be.

I have a Crower billet steel crank, Je 12.5 Hi-Comp pistons, Eagle Alloy forged rods, JUN Lightweight flywheel, Toda HV oil pump, Edelbrock 65mm throttle body, Skunk2 intake, stage 2 cams, valves and titanium retainers, AEM fuel rail w/adj. pressure regulator, DC 4-1 header, Skunk2 chipped OBD1 computer w/conversion harness. Im definitly getting a Hondata ECU.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 21 2005, 03:18 PM
don't.

had it.

it sucks.

you spend 20 minuets trying to connect to the damn blue box.

look into crome. thats where its at right now.
http://pgmfi.org has more info
[post=514941]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: Trust the man who threw thousands of dollars at name brand parts and ended up with a car that didn't run...then bought an STi. LoL. Brian, you are an encourager of sorts. As for crome, John Cui's the man. If I wasn't OBD0, Crome would be my tool of choice for tuning. Much more versatile than hondata, free, and you can get help directly from the man who developed it, and from hundreds of others who are testing and using it. good luck on your quest for tuning. I'm right there with you, only on the obd 0 field. :)

Originally posted by lynxs1981@Jun 21 2005, 02:51 PM
I have a Crower billet steel crank, Je 12.5 Hi-Comp pistons, Eagle Alloy forged rods, JUN Lightweight flywheel, Toda HV oil pump, Edelbrock 65mm throttle body, Skunk2 intake, stage 2 cams, valves and titanium retainers, AEM fuel rail w/adj. pressure regulator, DC 4-1 header, Skunk2 chipped OBD1 computer w/conversion harness. Im definitly getting a Hondata ECU.
[post=514930]Quoted post[/post]​

Also, looking at your setup, I see you have stage 2 camshafts, which I am assuming you mean skunk 2 stage 2. Those will have next to no effect on your idle. As for the adjustable fpr, you shouldn't need it, unless you are pushing over 400whp and have an aftermarket fuel pump pushing LOTS of fuel through the rail. You might be starving the chambers. Throw away that skunk2 chip, buy a wideband, and tune your engine with your choice of editor. Just replace the skunk chip with a new map. That premade generic map is probably your main problem.

An embarassing solution to fellow honda owners: when you take apart your throttle body to clean it, make sure you reset your main idle screw. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Back