high pitch sound from component when accelerate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxnsi

my friends and i have wired and rewired the system, but when the engine is running, there is a small pitch sound from the components/speakers. it gets worst when i accelerate...anybody know what's wrong?
will a capacitor help? is this a wiring issue?

Dont quote me on this but i think it comes from running the remote wire too close to the power supply? Can anyone clarify? Audio isn't exactly my forte'

I know that the ignition system emits varying levels of EMF, but it is usually shielded, and has other filtering things built into the electrical wiring for the ignition. If you tapped into the wrong power wiring for your head unit, or something like that, you might get that emf noise in your system. Check your grounds too, make sure you are dealing with good grounding locations.

Check your grounds, make absolutely sure that your signal cables aren't running near your power cables... maybe get some actively shielded signal cables like I have.

:)

Its alternator noise from the power cable being too close to your speaker and/or signal wires. My car does it now to because i put the battery in the trunk and its power cable is next to my speaker wires :( . To fix it either move the wires apart, shield the power cable or (like me) turn up the radio until it goes away :lol: .

run the wires that go from the head unit to the amp on the opposite side of the car, from the power cable and remote cable.

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@May 7 2004, 08:23 AM
also, how old are your spark plug wires? If they are arc'ing out, that can cause it too.

spark plug wires have not been replaced yet. ill try those things this weekend. thanks guys

when you guys say signal wire, do you mean the remote wire?
i've separated the power wire from everything else, but it still has that pitch. maybe i did not do a good job

Could be anything electrical causing your RCA's to pick up the noise.

If you've isolated your signal (RCA) cables from your power cables and that doesn't work, try to

1. rerun your RCA's somewhere else in your car.
2. CHECK ground, and try to reground somewhere else.
3. if you have anything like crossovers or eq's, bypass them and see if that is causing the pitch. eq's are a great noise picker-uppers.

If you have more than one electronic item hooked up, bypass one at a time and recheck for noise. If still present, then rehook it up and try another one.

Hope this helps somewhat.

..cx..

make sure your ground for your amp is as short as possible and is hooked to BARE METAL.

make sure your power wire does not run near the engine's electrical system anywhere possible in the engine bay.

How are your RCA's run? Are they near anything electrical with the motor?

Back