HKS head gasket - lower compression D1687

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Need some advice from you guys.

Got a D16A7 (SOHC) 16v honda motor which I am currently building for forced induction. I couldn't find any low compression pistons down here in South Africa, but got a set of .20 thou standard pistons ceramic coated. The rest of the Sub-assebmbly is stock, stock rods etc. Now I wan't to drop the compression a little to achieve slightly higher boost levels. The one option I am playing with at the moment is installing an HKS metal head gasket (2301-RH004 prod. code) this one is 3mm and the beaded type. Is this a good idea for my application? My engineer seems to think that this particular headgasket will drop the compression too much... he wan'ts around 2.3mm or less. But he reckons this HKS gasket has 3 layers and each layer can be removed which in turn adjusts the thickness. Is this a load of bollocks or what? Is there maybe another manufacturer that makes a gasket for my application? HELP!

L8r

with the larger bore piston, you bumped your compression a couple points. (also, make sure your cylinder walls have been bored properly to accept the larger piston)
running the 3-layer won't drop you too much in the long run.

and frankly, i wouldn't worry too much about compression, but rather proper fuel management

Ok. I suppose the pistons will bump the compression a bit. So this HKS gasket, does it really have three removeable layers?

BTW. For fuel I'm running a locally made Fuel Management called Gotech MFI. This unit supports closed-loop operation, timing advance and retard, internal map sensor etc etc. should do ok. check http://www.gotech.co.za/ for full specs, you guys there in the states could import this prime piece of fuel management equipment for peanuts. I get it for about R2000 which is $298, is that cheap for a full Fuel Management?

L8r

Generally, you don't want to tear a layer off a headgasket. the inside layers are not designed for outside layer use.

i looked at that gotec system, and it looks pretty good for what it is. i see no problem with your setup with that, if you can get it tuned properly with a wideband oxygen sensor to get your ideal a/f ratio (around 12-12.5:1) throughout your rpm band.

the system is VERY cheap. most fuel management systems along the same caliber start at $500 and go up to over $3000 for full-blown standalones

Back