Hondaswap Challange

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah batteries wieght a ton

the original powerplant in the bug is like 55HP

the electric motor is 100

so even if it wieghts 2000lbs when done it should work fine, especially with a flat torque curve

They need to work on better (lighter) battery technology. That's what is holding the electric cars back (literally).

There are whole forums deticated to the building of electric cars. Check out EVA/DC - Build an EV. A lot of people use modified forklift motors to power their cars. Be prepared to spend some cash, most of the motor conversion kits (including motor) are like $1000 and then you have to drop about $3000 on high capacity batteries. You also don't need a 100hp electric motor. You want something more like 20hp or less. The torque is what makes electric motors awesome, so you just gear the fuck out of it and you can get some decent speeds (and fast acceleration).

745watts in 1 hp.
74500watts of power.
Average battery at most 13.8V
=5399 Amps of current to get full potential.
thats 10 600 Amp hour batteries, to get one full hour of charge (probably approximatly when new and you can't fully discharge a lead acid battery without distroying it)

Holy shit. How much is it going to cost in electricity to charge that many batteries?

746* ;)

Also, the batteries in EV cars are 24v

I wish I had a picture of the old EV car. We had four 24v batteries that were pretty big(about 2.5 times the size of the Accord battery) and took up the whole back trunk area. We had them in series at 96V. We still had room for like four more batteries; but it'd be closer to the driver and passenger(and against the rules), and also weigh the car down some more. If you wanted more torque, you can always turn the current up and wire the batteries in parallel. Just make sure the speed controller can handle the current.

Also, solar panels on the hood and roof might help.

Last edited:
distance is key, they say that 70 miles is possible (144volt), from what I've read that should cost you about $2 to charge. You could always go with a small pickup, the bed just screams for batteries lol. One hardtop trunk cover later and ur done

Wayne Foss' 1981 Volkswagen Pickup
1981vw.jpg

It's already done.

system voltage of 108 volts and a 45 mile distance
using some cross multiplication (prolly not exactly accurate) at 144 volts I'd have a 60 mile distance, that would be workable

what about those generators that convert braking into energy (ups uses them). I don't think any of these vehicles use them do they?

ups has new hybrid trucks that use them, I don't know about passanger cars

I'm with Clayton. I'll take a super-high mileage internal combustion motor over and electric any day. If you are worried about short-trip driving, an electric car is going to be far from cost effective.

Back