Hondaswap skiers and riders...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

- Weekend at Whiteface MLK weekend.

I might be going to Whiteface that same weekend. I've been there once and loved it. It's either that, or sample some of the other big places out east.

Anyone else here into it? I just got back from my first outing of the year. Went to Holiday Valley in western NY for the day. I had a blast and came back in one piece.... This year I'm hoping to either do a long weekend trip out west to the resorts Summit County, CO, or stay closer and drive out to Okemo or Killington. I'm also in the market for some new skies. My Head cyber x44's are on their 8th season and their last legs. Any recommendations for a good all mountain ski?

I used to ski for a number of years, but then switched over to snowboarding about 6 years ago and have been doing it ever since. I'm pretty much a SIMS slut and usually stick with their gear, however I've grown quite fond of the Ride Timeless series as I have several friends that ride them. I just got a new board this year, and its actually signed by Steve Fisher.

http://www.snowboardermag.com/gear/hardgoods/sims/sims-fischer-snowboad-lg.jpg

PM me if you decide to come out to CO as I might be able to meet up with you depending on when you're out here. I have a Colorado pass so I have unlimited at A-Basin, Breckenridge, and Keystone as well as 10 days at Vail or Beaver Creek. If you decide to go somewhere like Loveland, Copper Mt, or Winter Park I might be able to get some discounted passes to meet up with you as well.

Last edited:
I might be going to Whiteface that same weekend. I've been there once and loved it. It's either that, or sample some of the other big places out east.
It's the biggest peak on the east coast. Only downfall is that it has no night session. It's huge though. Plenty of stuff to do.
Just so you know, this is how I translated what you wrote. Had to share it with the world...
What's with the unprompted personal attack? Your boyfriend break up with you for your father and they both stopped fucking you?

I made a comment. I expressed my love for the sport. I went into a little detail. If you can't write 10 lines about something you love, I feel truly sorry for you. And I doubt you speak this way to people who are in your presence.

It was not personal in any way. It was just something that popped into my head. I read what you wrote and all those words started falling into place. I do the same thing to songs I hear on the radio. Insert perverted/gay innuendo in place of the lyrics.

And yes, if I am witty enough, I say pretty much whatever to whoever is around, sometimes it gets me into trouble but only if it is misunderstood, as in this example...

Been Boarding for about 12 years now:

Ride Yukon 164 board
K2 CTL cinch bindings (think flow but way better)
Vans Contra boots

I have a season pass at our local ski hill but have never been true mountain riding. I have to find some time to make it out to Tahoe or Vail area where I have connections to have a cheap weekend. I am usually out once or twice a week every week there is snow on the ground and the temp is above 0.

Whelp.. I bit the bullet and picked up some new skis. Salomon X-wing 8's. They are a mid-upper grade all mountain ski. I decided that this year I needed to upgrade my gear instead of blowing $800 to go out west. My previous set was Head CyberX 44's. I bought them as a freshman in high school, and they are pretty beat. I'm going from a 179cm to a 166cm ski... turning will be drastically better.

I'm still looking into an east coast trip. My only qualm against whiteface is that the summit chair is closed half the time because of wind. They don't exactly see much snow either.

salomon_x-wing_8_+_711_2009_fs.jpg

Last edited:
Went to Kirkwood on Friday, what a great day. Morning was like spring skiing then a snow storm came and dropped 3 inches in 40 min for a nice fresh cover. :)

Btw, anyone know how I should fix my boot? The heel part has partially detached from the rest of the boot and gets stuck in the heel part of the binding when trying to pull out. Super annoying.. Would super glue work? maybe staple it? Buy new boots? They are only 3 year old Airwalks.

Heading out to the local hill for a few hours. Mad River Mountain is nothing but a zit on the earth... hardly a mountain. The snow is usually good, the park is awesome, and it's 20 minuted away.

Went to Kirkwood on Friday, what a great day. Morning was like spring skiing then a snow storm came and dropped 3 inches in 40 min for a nice fresh cover. :)

Btw, anyone know how I should fix my boot? The heel part has partially detached from the rest of the boot and gets stuck in the heel part of the binding when trying to pull out. Super annoying.. Would super glue work? maybe staple it? Buy new boots? They are only 3 year old Airwalks.
Shoe Goo or Silicone.

I'm still looking into an east coast trip. My only qualm against whiteface is that the summit chair is closed half the time because of wind. They don't exactly see much snow either.
I've never been while that lift was closed. And I've always had a nice cover. Only scraped ice once while I've been there. Guess I'm lucky.

Creek trip Wednesday and Camel Back Thursday. I'll be in Lake Placid over the weekend but I don't have the funds at the moment for a lift ticket. Sucks. Probably just build a kicker in the yard of the cabin and have some fun.

BTW- Would it be possible to sand the top of a board, give it custom paint, then clear coat it? I think I'm going to give it a try after this season. I plan on getting a new set-up next year anyway so worse case I screw up a back-up board that I would only use in terrible conditions.

I don't see why you can't. Most snowboards are epoxy & fiberglass. Not much different than doing body work on a car. Just make sure you use a paint and clear coat for plastic parts. The cold combined with the flex of a snowboard will crack most paints.

Now, what should I paint? I was thinking a bomber/pin-up girl. I could even use my black stop paint as a censored block if I felt really creative.

Any other ideas?

That would be pretty sweet. Paint the thing olive drab, or some other military color as a base-coat. In addition to the pin-up girl, put rivets along some seam so it looks like a vintage aircraft part. Maybe come up with a nostalgic name for the thing?
Reading06web.jpg

You're gonna be in Lake Placid and not hit the mountain? Damn that really blows. I'd have blue balls for the next week if that happened to me. Have you ever been to Gore Mountain? I've heard it's a really good alternative to Whiteface.

That would be pretty sweet. Paint the thing olive drab, or some other military color as a base-coat. In addition to the pin-up girl, put rivets along some seam so it looks like a vintage aircraft part. Maybe come up with a nostalgic name for the thing?
Reading06web.jpg
Love the idea to make it look like a military part. Not digging that pin-up though. Actually, a bar in Lake Placid has one called Virgin Snow. Might be perfect. Haha.
You're gonna be in Lake Placid and not hit the mountain? Damn that really blows. I'd have blue balls for the next week if that happened to me. Have you ever been to Gore Mountain? I've heard it's a really good alternative to Whiteface.
Paid for the trip in June when I had money. I would suck it up but I have to buy grad school books next week too.

Never been to Gore. Maybe I'll hit it up one of these days.

Gore mountain is an hour or so south of whiteface. From what I've heard it's one of the best kept secrets on the east coast.

Gore mountain is an hour or so south of whiteface. From what I've heard it's one of the best kept secrets on the east coast.
That's still a hike from me. Lake Placid/Whiteface is about 5-1/2 to 6 hours. Maybe I'll try an arrange a trip up to Gore next year. I'm already full of trips I can't afford for this year.

Back