How do I code a 96 Accord radio - I have the codes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FriendshipUSA

I need some help in a simple question not addressed in the owner's manual. How do I recode my 1996 Honda Accord radio. I do have the codes. I tried all the radio buttons but nothing seems to work. Do I need to reset the radio, i.e. pull the radio fuse and put it back it?

Thanks in advance.

Turn the key to "on" then, turn the radio on. The radio should display "code" on the screen. Using the numbered radio station buttons, enter your code. As soon as you hit the last number of your code, the radio will unlock and switch to radio mode.

If it doesn't read "code" with the ignition and radio turned on, you have other problems.

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I entered the code as describe but the "code" is still present. Am I missing a step?

Hi

The car has the original radio and in the glove box I have the cards for the radio stating the serial number and code. I can pull the radio an double check the serial number later today.

diconnect the battery then reconnect it.. re-enter code when prompted

^^ Worth a shot

Its also worth noting that if you enter an incorrect code 3 times in a row, the system will go into lock-out for an hour. There is no bypass for this.

Last edited:
It worked! thanks for the help! There is a trick though. The first time I disconnected the battery, waited about 30 seconds, then reconnected the battery. I then turned on the car and the radio. After the "code" appeared and the 5 digit code was put in. The radio did not work. The "code" still appeared. The second time I disconnect the battery, waited 30 minutes, then I turned on the car and the radio (all this was done when the battery was disconnected). I then turned off the radio and car's ignition. After the battery was reconnected the ignition and radio were turned on. After the "code" appeared the 5 digit code was added. It worked!

I believe the radio stores some memory when it is off after the battery was disconnected. To clear this the radio needed to be turned ON with the battery disconnected. (just a guess) Anyway, it is working now.

Sorry what is the code for the 1996 honda accord mine locked up after my battery died do to ke leaving it on & i cant anything to help unlock it ive had this car a few years & this never happened to me idk wha to do ?

Back