How do I remove hatch glass?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

scottp11

The Seniorest Member....
I just got a carbonfiber duckbill, and was wondering how do I separate the stock wing from the glass? I know about the 4 bolts that hold the whole assembly on, but how do I get the stock wing off the glass? :blink:

Thanks for all your help!!! :worthy: :worthy:

There's four nuts you unscrew and it comes right off. Now if you need to get the wing off the frame, I would advise taking it to a shop and paying a little to have them do it, because there seven delicate clips, and four screws, teh clips break VERY easily.

Took me 15 minutes to install my carbon fiber duckbill. Took off the 4 screws and unclipped the clips that run to the brake light, screwed in the new spoiler and that was that. The clips were a pain in the ass though to disconnect without breaking them. Good luck on the install.

Thanks! I'm gonna try this weekend. Might order some more clips just in case...

That's always a good idea. I hate taking stuff apart only to put it back together with zip ties so I can go to the dealer to buy clips.

Well, I did it... I'm not sure what clips ya'll were talking about, but I got the wing on today. Took about 30 minutes. I just removed the 4 bolts and the wiring for the brake light and it was off. Too easy. B)

Thanks for all your guy's help!!! :worthyp: :worthyp:

Originally posted by scottp11@Aug 5 2005, 09:22 PM
Well, I did it... I'm not sure what clips ya'll were talking about, but I got the wing on today. Took about 30 minutes. I just removed the 4 bolts and the wiring for the brake light and it was off. Too easy. B)

Thanks for all your guy's help!!! :worthyp: :worthyp:
[post=536395]Quoted post[/post]​

did the new spolier replace the metal strip that is right behind the OEM spoiler? If this is the case, what brand was it.

Yeah, it has one...

Are ya'll talking about the clips that hold the wires for the defrosters to the body? If so, yeah I took those out, but there were only 2, not 7.

I don't have pic's yet. (I don't know how to work this stupid digital camera!) But yeah, it replaced the metal strip behind the wing and came with a brake light. It's VIS, I assume, because the bubble wrap and plastic had "VIS" all over it. I ordered it from local speed shop called "Speedfactory".

No, the clips I am talking about are the ones holding the actual wing to the frame it's on, that mounts to the hatch.

Oh, the wing I got replaced the whole wing and frame. Thanks though!

Yea, most CF ones do, but I have seen one or two that you have to place it on teh frame, real pain in the ass.

Back