how do i tighten a head onto the block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phengnhou

hello everything i just need a little help. right now im doing a zc sohc swap in my civic hatch. first i need to know if that motor is even good. or how much power i'll pull out of that motor. it'll help me if you know the specs of the motor.

but right now i have the head apart from the bottom block and i need help on how to torch the head onto the block. if somebody can help me out by telling me how man turns i need to turn the screws.

ok thanks so much for helping.

pheng

block>gasket>head>head bolts/studs...if they need to be torqued find the specs on how much, get a torque wrench and get it done. just listen for the click. too easy
maybe put some threadlock on the head bolts/studs, probably couldnt hurt

hazha i read that literally, torch, like fire, anyway, yeah, and well honestly for me it's been quite a while since i have torqued a head down, but correct me if i am wrong, but shouldn't he torque the bolts halfway first, starting with the bolts in the center moving outward?

^
that's what I've always thought and done as well.

yeah, if i'm not mistaken. you go to 26 lbs. first, then finish off at 61lbs. in this squence:

9 3 1 5 7

8 6 2 4 10

or something similar...as long as you go inside to outside.

how many turns?!?!?!!
screws?!?!?

wtf

lmao

dude, check autozone.com
look in their repair info for a 92-95 civic ex with the sohc vtec engine...
that should give you the proper install procedure for the head bolt orders and torque specs...

and that should net 130 hp

0900823d801411b9.gif

Now tighten the cylinder head bolts in the proper sequence in two steps:

1st step: initially tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)

2nd step for D16Z6,D15Z1 engines: fully tighten to 53 ft. lbs (73 Nm), or

2nd step for D15B7, D15B8 engines: fully tighten to 47 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)

Originally posted by lowandslow@Mar 10 2005, 04:36 PM
^ damn thats some good info
[post=471866]Quoted post[/post]​

X2 :thumbsup:

naw just use some glue

but seriously, make sure your torque wrench is well calibrated for something as important as this. We rented one from auto zone and it was way off compaired to the electornic snap on.

You mother fuckers need to go buy the fuckin books for you cars. Even if only for having all the Tq specs infront of you when working.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 10 2005, 04:12 PM
0900823d801411b9.gif

Now tighten the cylinder head bolts in the proper sequence in two steps:

1st step: initially tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm)

2nd step for D16Z6,D15Z1 engines: fully tighten to 53 ft. lbs (73 Nm), or

2nd step for D15B7, D15B8 engines: fully tighten to 47 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)
[post=471799]Quoted post[/post]​

man I was looking all over the net the other night for picture of something like that
they would of been from a chevy 350, but none the less the same principle

autozone.com guys...

i fully back helms manuals all the way, but if you're in a bind and need sequences, general directions, hints, or torque specs check out autozone...
very good site for a rush...

they have wire diagrams, all motor torque specs, just about anything you could need when doing a job that you don't own a helms for...
they have saved my ass a numbers of times...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 11 2005, 08:03 AM
autozone.com guys...

i fully back helms manuals all the way, but if you're in a bind and need sequences, general directions, hints, or torque specs check out autozone...
very good site for a rush...

they have wire diagrams, all motor torque specs, just about anything you could need when doing a job that you don't own a helms for...
they have saved my ass a numbers of times...
[post=472183]Quoted post[/post]​

W3rd on that , me to.

Back