how do you know when vtec kicks in?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1996cool

I have acivic 1996 dx and did a mini on it vtec .the thing is that I dont know if its kicking in. what am i soposed to feel if any thing and also will dx ziggy fit the vtec head

Originally posted by brian11to1@Jun 9 2005, 12:00 PM
you have a dx with a y8 head? vtec engagement isnt as noticable on sohcs as it is in dohcs.
[post=510167]Quoted post[/post]​

ok, so what about the ziggy is it the same do you know? just wondering ....how can i make my car a little faster ? what about cams are they good investment copared to $ verses the difference

This is what it feels like....

s3f6f68753a995.jpg

Originally posted by 1996cool+Jun 9 2005, 12:07 PM-->
Originally posted by brian11to1@Jun 9 2005, 12:00 PM
you have a dx with a y8 head? vtec engagement isnt as noticable on sohcs as it is in dohcs.
[post=510167]Quoted post[/post]​

ok, so what about the ziggy is it the same do you know? just wondering ....how can i make my car a little faster ? what about cams are they good investment copared to $ verses the difference
[post=510177]Quoted post[/post]​

imo, no. whats "ziggy"... nitrous and boost is your only option, blow it then swap a K series...

sohcslammer
@Jun 9 2005, 12:13 PM

s3f6f68753a995.jpg

[post=510180]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for adding nothing...

he did its called humor.... any who, a dry shoty is the cheapest way to add a good kick....

Its hard to tell if vtec has "kicked in" in a sohc, as i can barely hear it on my ex, all i have is a v2 intake, but in a dohc w/ just an intake you can easily hear it open up and "kick in".

Originally posted by VTECPOWER@Jun 9 2005, 11:01 AM
Its hard to tell if vtec has "kicked in" in a sohc, as i can barely hear it on my ex, all i have is a v2 intake, but in a dohc w/ just an intake you can easily hear it open up and "kick in".
[post=510255]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: SOHC's dont exactly scream or pull hard like a DOHC does when VTEC is engaged, so you might not even be able to tell unless you have some mods.

going onto a entrance ramp in third gear with the radio off, you should be able to here VTEC kick in (assuming you don't have a gay fart can muffler) The exhaust note should change just slightly if you slowly make your way up to speed.

How to make it faster? Buy a d16a6 block, put some zc pistons in there, better cam, and tune it like crazy.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 9 2005, 12:13 PM

s3f6f68753a995.jpg

[post=510180]Quoted post[/post]​

haha I was watching that one day at work... when that scene showed I just busted out laughing. :lol:

You won't really feel or hear SOHC Vtec kick in. It's too subtle, but my only SOHC experience is in my buddies car and there was a loud fart cannon already on it when he bought it.

You will hear the B16 VTEC even with the stock intake on it. With a CAI or SRI you will hear it very very well.

Originally posted by formby@Jun 9 2005, 12:33 PM
he did its called humor.... any who, a dry shoty is the cheapest way to add a good kick....
[post=510190]Quoted post[/post]​

oooohh, dry shots make me cringe. yes, cheap and power, but unless you have a good significant way to increase your fuel, ouch. talk about lean. wet shots are safer in my opinion, they add the needed fuel to match. ive found on many other forums that best thing to do said by many people is to just turbo the motor off the bat, can safely hold 8 pounds without motor built. people tell me its the only way to get noticeable difference (keep in mind i have no personal experience with that so nothing to back it up)

Back