How much power can one expect?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DravenVX

OKay i am just curious how much of a power gain one can expect with the following modifications to a 99 JDM B16A engine....

AEM Cold Air Intake
Apexi Full Exhaust
Skunk2 Titanium Retainers
Skunk2 Valve Springs
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Skunk2 Performance Chip
Walbro Fuel Pump

Would i benefit more if i got the Skunk2 Cams and some high performance pistons or even a better flowing Header? Anyone have some good suggestions for all motor? I havent received the Skunk2 Retainers or the Valve Springs but it's a setup i am considering so if someone has a better soluton for more power all motor then please feel free to add your 2 cents worth. Everything else on the list i already have! Oh and i know that going with a turbo will get me better numbers but i just wanna see how much power i can milk out of the B16A before it goes BOOM!!! Thanks :)

Originally posted by DravenVX@Jul 10 2005, 07:35 PM
OKay i am just curious how much of a power gain one can expect with the following modifications to a 99 JDM B16A engine....

AEM Cold Air Intake
Apexi Full Exhaust
Skunk2 Titanium Retainers
Skunk2 Valve Springs
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Skunk2 Performance Chip
Walbro Fuel Pump

Would i benefit more if i got the Skunk2 Cams and some high performance pistons or even a better flowing Header? Anyone have some good suggestions for all motor? I havent received the Skunk2 Retainers or the Valve Springs but it's a setup i am considering so if someone has a better soluton for more power all motor then please feel free to add your 2 cents worth. Everything else on the list i already have! Oh and i know that going with a turbo will get me better numbers but i just wanna see how much power i can milk out of the B16A before it goes BOOM!!! Thanks :)
[post=523724]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, you would benefit more from more upgrades. but the things you are doing to gain power in your list consist of exhaust, intake and a chip. but the chip is probably useless unless its a custom programmed one, or you match the upgrades the chip is designed for. the springs, believe it or not, will rob you slightly of power. header is needed, increased compression p&p.

Well you can expect all the HP in the world doesnt mean your going to get it. Get a chip that is tuned for your motor. looks like you got the head done okay. take on that bottom end now. headers are always great. Just one Q....why skunk2? you a rich boy? :-D anyways I would get some CTR goodies or even ITR.

FIRST get a tunable chip (hondata, crome, uberdata) then try high overlap cams and high comp pistons (CTR/ITR) and of course headers are a good investment. With your current setup your chip now might be hurting your car more than it is helping it, but ya never know, you might be lucky.

When i bought my p28ecu i had a guy put the Skunk2 chip in it and he said he would program it to work with my current setup. I also have the stock B16A program so i can just switch it if it is infact robbing my car of power like someone else mentioned. The springs will rob me of power? Then what are they good for?? Are they strictly a safety measure when reving high or something?

Originally posted by drpenguin@Jul 10 2005, 08:43 PM
Well you can expect all the HP in the world doesnt mean your going to get it. Get a chip that is tuned for your motor. looks like you got the head done okay. take on that bottom end now. headers are always great. Just one Q....why skunk2? you a rich boy? :-D anyways I would get some CTR goodies or even ITR.
[post=523755]Quoted post[/post]​

Rich, lol, yeah right, I work hard for my $$ like most people on here! I only mentioned Skunk2 products cuz i had the chip to begin with and i just wanted to stay with the Skunk2 theme! Their products are tested together to reach full hp potential so if your gonna go with those mods that i mentioned then why not go with the same company, beginning to end! Everyone that responded said a header would be a good idea, what is the best header for good mid range power?

Bottom line is, the Skunk2 chip i got lets me rev to 9000 and i just wanna be able to do it safely and at the same time make as much power as i can with that setup!

So will CTR and ITR engine parts allow me to rev as high as my chip is set for?
Will a CTR or ITR header help me much or will i have to go to some aftermarket header to get the best power gains? thanks for replying everyone!!!! :)

Originally posted by DravenVX@Jul 11 2005, 04:30 PM
When i bought my p28ecu i had a guy put the Skunk2 chip in it and he said he would program it to work with my current setup. I also have the stock B16A program so i can just switch it if it is infact robbing my car of power like someone else mentioned. The springs will rob me of power? Then what are they good for?? Are they strictly a safety measure when reving high or something?
[post=524281]Quoted post[/post]​

you needn't worry about the small amount of power lost to the springs. just pointing it out. springs may rob slightly of power, but are made up for considerably when a better cam is used, and they are needed.

Well even though you can rev up to 9000 doesnt mean you make power that high. I think on that engine you would start loosing power at 7800RPMs. I think that is just there incase you misshift.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 11 2005, 04:49 PM
Well even though you can rev up to 9000 doesnt mean you make power that high. I think on that engine you would start loosing power at 7800RPMs. I think that is just there incase you misshift.
[post=524367]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Originally posted by reikoshea@Jul 11 2005, 07:49 PM

I did not know that, i guess you learn something new everyday, thanks!

So how can you make power that high up in the rev range? B)

Originally posted by DravenVX+Jul 11 2005, 10:59 PM-->
reikoshea
@Jul 11 2005, 07:49 PM
Well even though you can rev up to 9000 doesnt mean you make power that high.  I think on that engine you would start loosing power at 7800RPMs.  I think that is just there incase you misshift.

I did not know that, i guess you learn something new everyday, thanks!

So how can you make power that high up in the rev range? B)
[post=524476]Quoted post[/post]​

Compression and cams.

So whats the best header to get for mid range power? Top end power??

Originally posted by DravenVX@Jul 13 2005, 03:33 PM
So whats the best header to get for mid range power? Top end power??
[post=525693]Quoted post[/post]​

Mid range = 4-2-1 Header
top end = 4-1 header
Since you have a B16 I would go with the 4-1 header.

Originally posted by drpenguin@Jul 14 2005, 06:01 PM
Im telling you man build your bottom end. You want power? well thats where your going to get it!
[post=526316]Quoted post[/post]​

The man has a point......

Back