How to get a valve cover cut?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n1mr0d

Like the topic says. Does anyone know what tool is used to cut the valve cover on the B series cylinder heads? I want it so that the adjustable cam gears will be visible but the lip of the cover still comes down a little from the top. I'm doing a really poor job of describing what I want but if anyone understands what I’m looking to do and knows if a machine shop can readily do this please help me out.

Originally posted by n1mr0d@Jun 6 2005, 12:21 PM
Like the topic says. Does anyone know what tool is used to cut the valve cover on the B series cylinder heads? I want it so that the adjustable cam gears will be visible but the lip of the cover still comes down a little from the top. I'm doing a really poor job of describing what I want but if anyone understands what I’m looking to do and knows if a machine shop can readily do this please help me out.
[post=508525]Quoted post[/post]​

I want it to be exact and nice looking. I don't want to hack it up and spend 4 hours cutting it. I'd rather pay someone with the proper tool to do it then for me to botch it.

it took me 30 min. and looks really good, but thats cool that you want some one to do it for you. just take it to a machine shop and have them cut it

the thing with doing it yourself is you need to take out small half circles at a time until you get to the apex of teh gear, so you dont "overcut" it.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 6 2005, 03:28 PM
buy one pre-cut that looks nice :p

lots of guys use a laser-etcher of some sort to do it.
[post=508604]Quoted post[/post]​

where do you find a pre cut one online and got an idea of the cost to have it cut?

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 7 2005, 08:44 PM
I used a chop saw- took 30 seconds. That's all. Use one to tune, then use one to drive.
[post=509341]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah I would use a chop saw but I want the lip of the cover to stay. Useing a chop saw would elimiate the lip completely.

Nah- I cut mine close enough to just kill the one side of the cover. I still have the belt covered- just the gear faces are exposed. Unless you mean lip as in the entire face of metal that goes over the outside of the gears.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 8 2005, 01:14 AM
Nah- I cut mine close enough to just kill the one side of the cover. I still have the belt covered- just the gear faces are exposed. Unless you mean lip as in the entire face of metal that goes over the outside of the gears.
[post=509499]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes. I want about a quater of an inch down from the top of lip overhang. I've seen it done and it has been suggested that you can buy them pre cut. But where?

i used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade took about 2 mins i snapped the blade off so that it was only sticking out of the jig saw about a 1/4 inch, then just lay the cover back on the car with the middle plastic cover missing you can see the bottom half of the gears make a template with paper of the circumference of the gears trace it on the cover, cut it and done.

Back