how to take off your head....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok, im in the process of trying to take off my sohc y8 head.

i got the valve cover off no prob. now im having trouble figureing sp?
out which bolts to unbolt in order to take the head off.

anyone give me any pointers?

or a step by step?

this is my first time. i got the right tools.... just takin my time cuz i never done it b4

also, on my turbo manifold, two of the fucking nuts that thread onto the studs are stuck. i soaked them in wd-40 last night, and another bath again today.

im using a open ended wrench due to the fact a socket will not fit in the tight clearances.

any ideas on how to get those fuckers off? they are starting to strip, so i really havent applied that much pressure to them for fear of completely stripping them.

well i could care less if i strip them, ill just buy new ones, but i dont want to fuck them up to the point where i gotta use extreme measures to get them off....

for the turbo manifold try using pb blaster and a closed end wrench. or use an acetyline (sp?) torch and get those fuckers red hot. it will expand the metal making it easier to get off. thats what i had to do on my exhaust bolts. becareful with the torch though, some of them can get hot enough to melt the metal so make sure someone who knows what they are doing is working the torch.

Torches rock, I use them whenever I can, FIRE. Anyway, On the cylinder head, there should be eight bolts inside, and then the bracket under the IM is bolted to the block. Once you have everything (wiring, hoses, EM and IM) undone there is a little slit under the head inbetween the head and the block, you just pry up with a screwdriver, and work it free.

to take off the head bolts, start in the middle top, then go middle bottem, then middle top right, then bottem middle left, then middle bottem right, then top left. only do about 2 turns each time, to make sure its coming off evenly. do this criss cross patern to get all the bolts off, start on the middle and work out. thats about it really, u also have to undo the exhaust and intake manifold bolt/nuts. on the IM there is 2 bolts located under the intake manifold that u gotta undo too.

get a helms mang, and what the other brothers said. Atleast in the helms you will get TQ specs for the head which you need and it's a crossover pattern from top left to bottom right and so forth.

head bolts are off. i just started from the left hand side and worked my way right.

i just gotta figure out how to take off the nuts that wont come off the studs on the exhaust manifold....

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 11 2003, 05:33 PM
head bolts are off. i just started from the left hand side and worked my way right.

i just gotta figure out how to take off the nuts that wont come off the studs on the exhaust manifold....

:lol: , do you have a computer in your garage or something? we're gettin' like updates like every quarter-hour.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 11 2003, 06:33 PM

next time, do it in an X pattern so that way you dont have all the pressure on one side. This can cause excess stress on that side and possibly mess up the head.

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Oct 11 2003, 06:39 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Oct 11 2003, 05:33 PM

:lol: , do you have a computer in your garage or something? we're gettin' like updates like every quarter-hour.

I should do that when I do my engine swap. I could even set up a web cam and make a reality show out of it.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Oct 11 2003, 05:41 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Oct 11 2003, 06:33 PM

next time, do it in an X pattern so that way you dont have all the pressure on one side. This can cause excess stress on that side and possibly mess up the head.

gotcha.

im guessing the whole head needs to be replaced anyways, so im just trying to get shit off there as fast as possible to inspect the damage.

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Oct 11 2003, 05:39 PM-->
Tonyd0821

actually, my comp is online. i work for 30 or so minutes, then get tired and take a break. i come online to check my ebay auctions, email people etc.

i got no life. im sure some of you guys on the internet 24/7 can relate :lol:

im in no real big hurry to get shit off. i still need to source a new engine and whatnot. ill prob. do the install in 2-3 weeks? maybe next? who knows.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Oct 11 2003, 05:42 PM-->
Originally posted by kylemarhx@Oct 11 2003, 06:39 PM
Tonyd0821
head bolts are off.  i just started from the left hand side and worked my way right.

I should do that when I do my engine swap. I could even set up a web cam and make a reality show out of it.

when i swap in my new engine, i would seriously consider doing that.

i would have no idea how to set it up, but i got an old webcam...

unfortunately im on 56k.

that shit would be hella tight tho,

the first webcast of a engine swap in the world......

good luck dood..(asmallsol) i wanna be in your show..hehe where r u located?

Back