HOWTO: HID Projector Retrofit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I used a pre-made "High-Wattage Bulb Upgrade" harness. I'll draw up the schematic sometime. But it came in one of those "HID Kit for H4" things, along with two ballasts.

This is exactly what I've got. eBay Motors: Plug & Play FX / TL Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit Wire Harness (item 180225167589 end time Mar-25-08 10:33:15 PDT)

Hey thanks. I really appreciate it, driving around with my stock headlights sucks because I live in an area that gets quite dark at night. It will be nice to have some more visibility.

Yeah, yeah, old thread, but I still have questions.

How much did you pay for the projectors? You used G35 lights, is there any reason behind this, or do any other OEMs use better/worse HID projectors?

Yeah, yeah, old thread, but I still have questions.
No worries, more bumps = more views.

How much did you pay for the projectors?
I bought them without bulbs or ballasts, and I think I paid in the range of $250 for the pair. Expect 300-400 with used bulbs, and another $100 for ballasts.

You used G35 lights, is there any reason behind this, or do any other OEMs use better/worse HID projectors?
I used the G35 projectors because they were bi-xenon, they had a ZKW lense (one of the clearest) and they were available. The cutoff line with these is cleaner, and the dispersion isn't as great as everyone else's favourite, the TSX projector.

When I bought them, I hadn't even thought of a method to mount them yet. I was going to use L-Brackets (the kind you use in book-cases to add support). When I saw the screws holding the high-beam solenoid, I knew exactly what I could do instead. This has proved to be a pretty good mounting method, and has lasted 75k km, and I still maintain full use of the headlight's original alignment screws/knobs.

If I did it again, I'd still use these projectors, however I'd use a TSX projector with the cutoff removed as an additional high-beam, in addition to the bi-xenon. Reason being: People don't see that you're toggling the brights if they happen to be below (inside of) the cutoff, all they see is the same beam of light. The factory G35 high-beams use a halogen bulb in addition, and now I see why. People just can't tell that I'm flashing my brights.

Hope this helps.

Ld;)
Hey thanks. I really appreciate it, driving around with my stock headlights sucks because I live in an area that gets quite dark at night. It will be nice to have some more visibility.

I am with you. For just being at the military base, it gets ridiculously dark. I am doing the research to get this done instead of havng to get foglights. What part of WA you in?!?

none of the pics are showing up. if you want to repost them i can host them for you since im pretty sure my site aint going anywhere.

none of the pics are showing up. if you want to repost them i can host them for you since im pretty sure my site aint going anywhere.

sure, thanks. I'll export the photos sometime today.

Back