I crashed the camaro

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

yep. i crashed my ex gf's camaro yesterday. i was going to make a left turn from a stoplight, and the fuckhead in front of me almost stopped in the intersection, so i went around him to take the turn wider, and when i made the turn and straightened out, the back end came loose. well it started to slide and i was actually facing into the side of that car i went around, so i steered back to the right to correct the slide, and i let off the accelerator. when the tires slowed down and gripped, the wheels were cranked to the right, so it whipped the car around the opposite way and threw me into the outside lane, facing traffic, against the curb. as far as damage, basically two broken wheels, and popped tires, and prbably the whole rear end needs to be replace, and there is some wierd dent above the fenderwell of the rear tire, not sure how that happened, but it wasnt there before.

other than a sore back and my wrists hurt, im okay. i had my friend was in there, and his back hurts too, but thats all. i guees we were pretty lucky though, because if we would have been going fast we could have hopped the curb and went down a hill, or if there would have been someone coming fast down the street thre could have been a head on collision.

heres a little diagram i did on paint:
gallery_22248_168_7848.jpg

Cut
A
Mullet
And
Ride
Off

Glad to hear that you are ok...and that another Camaro is decimated. :)

:lol: I dont really care if it was totalled either, cause just the two wheels are gonna cost more than my deductible probably. She wa like, atleast you could have totalled it so i could get a new car. and i was like, hell no, if it was totalled i would probably be too.

snap-back's a bitch :) if you've gon edrifitng before you would have known how to control it :D

ohh well, at least you're not hurt...

and nice diagram y0. thats like paint of the year right there :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 12 2005, 01:42 PM
snap-back's a bitch :) if you've gon edrifitng before you would have known how to control it :D

ohh well, at least you're not hurt...

and nice diagram y0. thats like paint of the year right there :)
[post=472620]Quoted post[/post]​

yea looking back i am trying to figure out what i did wrong. i thinkk that i let off the accelerator too fast, or that i didnt start to turn the wheel back straight, or a combination of both.

when you let off the accelerator, and turn in, it creates the snap back.

basically, you want to feather the gas slowly off, and basically, just let go of the steering wheel-- let it slide through your hands as you come back to straight....

https://hondaswap.com/vids/beaverun_b_1.wmv :)

I don't think letting go of the steering wheel is a technique that anyone should use or recommend. You should never ever let the wheel slide through your hands, as this is just asking for trouble. The issue with sliding the car, is that is scrubs off all that excess speed that caused the oversteer cindition in the first place, at which point the tires can regain traction, and it violently transitions. If you don't over-input and stay relaxed, it will go where you are looking. At any rate, glad to hear you are OK, go do some auto-x or HPDEs and that will never happen to you again.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Mar 12 2005, 05:12 PM
I don't think letting go of the steering wheel is a technique that anyone should use or recommend. You should never ever let the wheel slide through your hands, as this is just asking for trouble.
[post=472712]Quoted post[/post]​

have you ever gone drifitng?
have you ever been to a drift clinic?

ask anyone who's a semi- pro. they will tell you the same thing. hell, clayton can back me up on this one.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Mar 12 2005, 05:21 PM-->
@Mar 12 2005, 05:12 PM
I don't think letting go of the steering wheel is a technique that anyone should use or recommend. You should never ever let the wheel slide through your hands, as this is just asking for trouble.
[post=472712]Quoted post[/post]​

have you ever gone drifitng?
have you ever been to a drift clinic?

ask anyone who's a semi- pro. they will tell you the same thing. hell, clayton can back me up on this one.
[post=472716]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup...I did that all day yesterday.... :)

Also...with the car...it matters

The Z, lowered an inch or so, no bump steer spacers, no power steering, the stock huge tractor trailer steering wheel, stiff suspension, heavy ass tires, full polly bushing set installed...normal driving is fun, but when drifting....or pressing the car hard....letting go of the steering wheel is perfect for the car...I've tried to hang on to the wheel...but it will break my hand or wrist....even pulling into a gas station with a little 2" curb...going slow as hell...the wheel will hit it, and will slam my handinto the door and that hurts..... for drift...once a drift is initiated, and I got to bring the front back to normal to snap it back to the other side...letting go and letting the wheel slide to a possitve angle is faster than me trying to rotate it around...cuase if I do rotate it manually....I'll be stuck in a spin...cuz I just cant move the wheel fast enough to get to a decent angle....and the physics of the car wanting to straighten itself out with the wheel let go is awesome.....one of the reasons I'm not drifting better...is I'm still hanging onto the steering wheel too much. But yesterday...I was getting good once I found out what tires the Z likes to burn up...

Granted...in the CRX...I rarely let the steering wheel travel by itself, mainly because the wheels I'm turning are the wheels that are pulling the car around.

Stock or near stock newer Camero...with PS, soft suspension...etc....will drive and ride different.

It's all on the car and how it's set up...

We can debate this into the ground....but until you show me...physically that you can drift my Z better than me... or any car for that matter while holding the sterring wheel the whole time......then just keep quite...

even the pro drifters in the crazy drift videos let the wheel slide... :shrug2:

hey B, who did you get your Gap insurance through. was it through the finance company?

the reason is, i am thinkin the car is gonna be totalled. the fram is probably gonna be bent, and at the vey least the whole rear end is gonna have to be replaced, plus the wheels. the blue book on that car is only like 4500 or something, so i am hoping she has the gap insurance to cover the rest of the loan

yeah, it was like a $1200 insurance package added onto the financing plan or some shit...

note to people with gap insurance...

gap insurance covers negative equity...

such as the car is worth 10K and you owe 13K

you total it, your car insurance covers the fair market value of 10K, and then the GAP covers the 3K of negative equity... the amount you owed above and beyond fair market value...

but then the bank can issue you a certificate of debt foregivness... meaning they forgave you the 3K, so now you must report it on your tax return as INCOME...
just have a little extra set aside if you think you might get hit with this...

Damn i hope she has that shit, or else i dont know what the hell to do. i guess it will be my ass paying the difference

if they total it, buy it back for like 500 bucks, and part it out, and you'll cover your gap

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 13 2005, 03:23 PM
if they total it, buy it back for like 500 bucks, and part it out, and you'll cover your gap
[post=472976]Quoted post[/post]​

the problem is i live in apts so i cant part it out

Back