I love FREE Stuff

• Thread starter sisteve
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 2K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Norton is one of the biggest performance killers available. I don't touch anti-virus software at all because it offers very little protection for the resources it consumes. Just be careful about anything you download and stay up to date with the latest OS patches for your particular OS. If you want to be really secure get a Sun Blade or the like. Most viruses don't effect Solaris.

There's gotta be a catch there's always a catch

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 17 2002, 09:24 PM
Norton is one of the biggest performance killers available. I don't touch anti-virus software at all because it offers very little protection for the resources it consumes. Just be careful about anything you download and stay up to date with the latest OS patches for your particular OS. If you want to be really secure get a Sun Blade or the like. Most viruses don't effect Solaris.

i agree. norton anti-virus is just a ram killer, and it fucks up our computers at work too. i disabled mine at work. hehe. everyone else is like "whats worng with my comp?!" "why is it so fucking slow?" "why does my comp crash everyday?" i tell em its the anti-virus program, but they just ignore me. fuckheads.

If you got the amount of emails I do from runing this site and having my email addy everywhere, you would run it.

85% of my emails contain a virus. I shit you not. And I use outlook. So, yeah- I NEED a virus scanner- norton has kept me clean for over 4 months on here....
I'll take the ram eat. shit. Its ram- BY MORE don't complain.
If you don't have 256 at least by now, you shouldn't be onm a computer IMO.
512 I would recommend.
1 gb options :)
3 GB here i come :)

Agree on the Norton screws stuff up !!! I run Trend Micro - it doesn't eat resources and they will update as often as twice a day if they need to - so it's always the latest. NFS - 1 gb dual processor :D

yeah, I use norton corporate edition. uses much less resources. and at home I use norton system works 2002.
and I have never had an issue w/ norton fucking up, or slowin my shit down etc... I guess it kinda matters how you have it set to scan. if you have it scanning every single damn file yeah it might get slow, that's why I have mine set to only scan incoming emails, and exe,com type files.

Also my computers I use at home and work are dual 1.4GHz, w/ 1GB DDR ram, and nvidia Ti4600 w/ 256MB DDR on them as well.

my comp at work has 512megs of RAM, but the other peeps here have only 128 and they are using pentium 2s at 250mhz and 750mhz! lol i told them they need more ram too. i get ignored about that too. hehe

Back