I messed up. Learn from my error!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n1mr0d

I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong. If someone can tell me I will make the pics list with the post rather then linking to them. I keep getting this message:
Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed. WTF?!?!!

Now onward

First of all, let this be a learning lesson to you all. Loctite your flywheel bolts.

I took the trans off today and was gonna take it in to have some gears changed out and I got a new twin disc clutch for the turbo setup I am going to be running. Well I pulled the clutch off and noticed that a flywheel bolt has backed itself out and was interfering with the clutch engauagement. Then I pulled the flywheel off and saw that because of the bolt, the clutch not making proper contact with the flywheel, the flywheel and crank got so hot that they started welding to each other.
Here are the pics.

[b]This is the flywheel bolt that backed out and is destroyed and a good bolt.[/b]

[url=https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=20929]Bolts[/url]

[b]This is the front of the flywheel. Notice the welding marks from the bolts to the flywheel.[/b]

[url=https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=20930]Flywheel front[/url]

[b]This is the back side of the flywheel. Sorry is crappy, but again the chunks of welded metal.[/b]

[url=https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=20931]Flywheel backside[/url]

[b]Lastly the crankshaft and the chunks of welded metal on it.[/b]

[url=https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=20932]Crankshaft[/url]

So now my question is to you guys:

Do I just replace the crankshaft?

or

Pull the bottom end and have it built?

I recently rebuilt the head because I over reved it and bent some valves. I am going to get a full race turbo setup but I really wasn't planning on building the motor this early or at all if I could get away with it (which I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to). I was looking at the big stage 4 GT AC friendly kit. Not so much cuz thats the power I want to make but more so because I want to give a vette a run for its money.

I guess I'm asking what would be an about price if I had the motor built and who should I have do it. I know B was very pleased with Golden Eagle doing his and I am thinking about the same. I am most likely going to just replace the crank because the cost of the new clutch and rebuilding of the head has tapped the savings. Property taxes are due in Sept and I don't need the man taking my house from me. Anythoughts would be helpful.

Thats all fine and dandy except that loc-tite releases when heated.. Flywheel=Mad heat.

Just be certain to torque them to spec..

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 5 2005, 11:32 AM
Thats all fine and dandy except that loc-tite releases when heated.. Flywheel=Mad heat.

Just be certain to torque them to spec..
[post=536182]Quoted post[/post]​

Wrong. Loctite expands with heat. When I did my first swap way back in the day, Threw my flywheel right off my crank, detroying my clutch. I will mot put a flywheel on to this day with out lock tite!

oh yeah, you crank should be fine. In metal pieces that have welded themselves to the crank are in the way of the new flywheel, just file them flat and bolt that puppy back together!!

Ok so if I understand you correctly the "peaks" and the end of the crank only need to be filed down flush with the portion that is still true and flat. Am I not to worry about the "valleys" that are their from the transfer of metal? Should I worry about the weight of the crank and that it is no longer balanced?

Would these "distortions" in the crank not cause more torsional vibrations in the motor that may cause more stress on the bearings? Because in a way i would agree with hybrid89, but in a way i wouldn't, if it was me i would replace it! that is if money allows...b/c who REALLY knows what damage it could cause in the long run!?

have you ever picked up a crank? they're heavy as shit. a couple nicks near the axis of the crank is not going to throw it out of balance. but the bish back together and full-race it up.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Aug 8 2005, 01:52 AM
have you ever picked up a crank? they're heavy as shit. a couple nicks near the axis of the crank is not going to throw it out of balance. but the bish back together and full-race it up.
[post=537270]Quoted post[/post]​

Werd, im gonna have to say that under curcomstance (SP) You should worry about nicks, blemish's, and cracks on the crank etc. etc.. Over the long run the balnace will fuck stuff up, especialy on the crank, But like he said this is of the axis, I personaly dont see it being to big a problem if at all. But also as mike said...."as money permits" But with that said i would probably go ahead with it and "live and learn" If thats whats to come from not replacing it. I mean hey your on a roll already right? If it was me i would probably file etc.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Aug 8 2005, 10:52 AM
This thread worries me....I didnt loctite my flywheel bolts....:ph34r:
[post=537347]Quoted post[/post]​

The next time you pull your tranny off I would ABSOLUTLY do it.

Did you guys look at the pics I posted of the crank. They are not nicks. They are full chuncks of metal missing.

Ok so I really do think that I will replace the crank. Can I replace it with a type R crank and not run into clearence issues?

Originally posted by UDT@Aug 8 2005, 05:28 AM
But also as mike said...."as money permits" But with that said i would probably go ahead with it and "live and learn"

No no, that wasn't me!

That Noob copied my Avatar! :axe: :bash: :boxing:

I'm with you guys, I don't see that damage having the mechanical implications that would justify replacing the crank.

Damn noob giving me a bad rep. :beat: :gunfight:

Back