I need a new hobby

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

start a hobby that will make you some money or has competitions.
photography, check.... get semi good.. charge a much cheaper rate .. make some money.. get better, charge a little more now that your name is out there...

If you spend a couple hundred on a decent camera and glass, get semi-decent, you can make enough money some months to actually take yourself out to dinner.

Besides, it doesn't matter if it's summer or winter with a camera.

Alternatively, you could buy a z-car. Lol.

learn how to do wedding photography.

hobby=check
money=check
travel=check
hot horney women=check

Sounds like a winner to me.

Dealing with crazy people on the most stressful day of their lives = check.

Sorry, I'm not into that.

Dealing with crazy people on the most stressful day of their lives = check.

Sorry, I'm not into that.

how are you dealing with them? you get paid BEFORE the wedding. all you have to do is take pictures, shmooze the guests and eat free food.

:werd: .... i went to my bestfriends sisters wedding.. took pictures from my seat(not moving around) and they told me my pictures were better than the ones from the paid photographer..

i'd put a craigslist ad out, but i dont feel confident enough w/ my pictures.. need to take some classes and get some better glass

:werd: .... i went to my bestfriends sisters wedding.. took pictures from my seat(not moving around) and they told me my pictures were better than the ones from the paid photographer..

i'd put a craigslist ad out, but i dont feel confident enough w/ my pictures.. need to take some classes and get some better glass

just post an add for free. tell the people you will give them free photos since you are building a portfolio.

some will be people with money who want extra photos from a second photographer, some will be cheap asses.

either way you build your book. just make sure you get a list of the typical pictures people want. know what shoots to do before you go.

you could also find an established photographer and follow them for a while. be an assistant/apprentice.

learn how to do wedding photography.

hobby=check
money=check
travel=check
hot horney women=check

Sounds like a winner to me.
Best idea yet. I love weddings. And my little sister already has a dslr I could probably borrow to see if I like it. Don't think I would like it as a legitimate job though. I like my nights and weekends. Maybe I could do that then try to move to some other form of photography.
I agree... get a road bike. Get an old Road bike and fix it up. You're obviously mechanically inclined. I recently purchased a 1976 Schwinn varsity for 5 bucks, put about 50 bucks into converting it to fixed gear, and had fun cleaning it up.
I would enjoy fixing up the bike, but not road riding. My favorite part of mountain biking is the trails and the fact that I'm usually camping.

If the parentals weren't so against motorcycles I'd have a 70's Triumph in the garage getting worked over while having a sport bike to tool around on as well. Found a local guy on craigslist selling both for around $4k.
buy a house. always something to do when you own a house...
Would love one. Hoping I can find myself a decent day job while I go to grad school that can facilitate me moving the hell out. Have a few leads, but in general the market still sucks.

Renzo Gracie opened up a gym down the road recently. My mother thinks MMA is barbaric, but definitely easier to hide then a bike. I plan on doing it just to work out and get in shape but without a job really don't want to be dropping $100 a month just yet.

Looks like I need to find a job before I get much further in this search.

I'm like phyregod though. I love tinkering and random little projects. Just a lack of them right now. It's actually pretty sad that I want a house, not to have a house, but to have all the little projects and customize everything the way I want it.

get an internship somewhere. i think you are a recent enough grad that you might still qualify.

Back