I need your help making a career decision..

Diesel mech or auto mech?

• Diesel

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Automotive

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MthaFuknGreen

Green on the scene.
should i go to school to be a diesel mechanic or an automotive mechanic?
i would much rather prefer to just be a regular mechanic, but with the auto industry the way it is i feel it might be a risk.
there is tons of money in the diesel world, but i was thinking about it and since hardly anyone is buying new cars anymore, more people should be fixing their old cars.

please leave feedback as to why you chose what you did.
i need to make this decision soon.

You should do what you think will make you happy. If you want a career based on how much money you make go become an engineer of some kind, a lawyer or doctor. Oops scratch the doctor, everyone wants socialized health care so that puts an end to actually making money. Point is do what you makes you happy, you can always adjust your lifestyle around your income but you cant make your job suck any less.

I would say the big D man, cause ya can learn automotive pritty esally and alot of shops are looking for good mecanics in Desil engines not to mechion you could get jobs other places then on land, could be Rigs, Tankers ect!

You should do what you think will make you happy. If you want a career based on how much money you make go become an engineer of some kind, a lawyer or doctor. Oops scratch the doctor, everyone wants socialized health care so that puts an end to actually making money. Point is do what you makes you happy, you can always adjust your lifestyle around your income but you cant make your job suck any less.

well ive never worked on a diesel, so i dont know if that would make me happy.. but isnt it the same thing as regular auto tech, except on a larger scale and with more compression?
and its not based on how much money i would make, i just dont want to train for 2 years of my life for a job that wont make me a penny.

Try an apprenticeship somewhere if they offer it. Get you hands dirty trying different things before you commit to something you aren't sure of. School is expensive, and it will just bite you in the butt and put you in the same situation you are in now if you decide to do something without having anything to back that decision.

You are young enough that you can try many things without having to get strapped down in a job that you hate doing, or lose interest in quickly. Explore your options. You will thank yourself later. Not to mention it broadens your horizons for future applications. You may find something different to do while experimenting. There are many aspects to every job. Analyze everything that happens. Even the little things most people find insignificant can be vital to someone else.

Society, especially as of late, is all about chasing the dollar. While establishing a secure livelihood is imperative, it isn't worth the hassle of doing it with blindfolds on.

Last edited:
depends on what you like working on better. i dont' think the market is very good for diesel mechanics. plus, i don't really care for big trucks or anything really diesel. it's up to you though.

You wouldn't believe the money and flexible hours / conditions in Diesel. do diesel mechanic.

Try an apprenticeship somewhere if they offer it. Get you hands dirty trying different things before you commit to something you aren't sure of. School is expensive, and it will just bite you in the butt and put you in the same situation you are in now if you decide to do something without having anything to back that decision.

You are young enough that you can try many things without having to get strapped down in a job that you hate doing, or lose interest in quickly. Explore your options. You will thank yourself later. Not to mention it broadens your horizons for future applications. You may find something different to do while experimenting. There are many aspects to every job. Analyze everything that happens. Even the little things most people find insignificant can be vital to someone else.

Society, especially as of late, is all about chasing the dollar. While establishing a secure livelihood is imperative, it isn't worth the hassle of doing it with blindfolds on.
well, my two years of schooling would cost under 4000 including books and all that, so its not that expensive.
but i think working on automobiles would suit me well because; i like working with my hands, it doesnt take too much improvisation(although i am very good at improvising), you have to pay close attention to detail, but not tooo closely(as opposed to building cabinets), mechanics get paid a lot to do some of the most simplistic shit and its not too tedious(as opposed to sanding cabinets), its not a dead following and doesnt look to become one in the near future, so there will be new stuff coming out constantly(but not as much as other technology that people have suggested i go to school for) so it wont get boring and there are thousands of different types of cars so i wont be looking at and working on the same exact thing everyday.
You wouldn't believe the money and flexible hours / conditions in Diesel. do diesel mechanic.
I'd believe it, my dad was a truck driver for 6 years.
He got payed a lot just to drive the fucking trucks, so one could asume that people who make the trucks drive would get payed more.

check for jobs where you want to work. see who is hiring, see what they are paying. then find out which school they like to hire from. start from there for a sure way to success.

my dad said that one of the teachers said that diesel shops owners are always dropping by the school looking for mechanics.
its the only post-high school school that teaches auto and diesel technology within 100 miles, except for maybe independent classes and shit.

The diesel market is HUGE. Pretty soon(in other countries), the "automotive" market will be diesel too.

Why not both?

because then id have to go to school 12 hours a day.
there isnt any programs available offering both in the same class.

these are the programs i have to choose from:
Automotive Dealer Technician
Automotive Master Technician
Automotive Mechanics Technology
Diesel Equipment Technician
Diesel: Auto Equipment Technician

heres links to the classes..
San Joaquin Delta College - Spring 2009 DIESL Course List
and heres a link to all the courses..
Careers
feedback on which to choose?

they dont go much into detail on the courses, im waiting on the catalog.

i might take auto electric technology in the future too.

by the way, im shooting for a 2 year course.

40 years ago my grandfather made a living building Mack trucks, and running his own shipping company. He serviced them all himself as well, until he was killed.

There was a lot of money in it back then even. It's still a profitable industry to be in. I say go for diesel. How many people on the internet(s) can fix a gasoline engine in various stages of disarray? How many people can fix a diesel engine?

Go diesel, if only for the lovely smell. Oh god, the smell. Mmmmmmm.

yeah, i kinda already made up my mind about doing diesel, but i still wanted to get some other peoples takes on it.

but whats the difference between diesel equipment technician and diesel auto equipment technician?
is diesel equipment tech for like tractors and shit?

Probably so(to the Diesel equpment question). I'm sure Volvo has different technicians for their 18-wheeler department and their tractor division. Very different purposes.

Back