i tried searchin' but I can't find any help...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ahedau

I have a bare B20b block (freebie)

I'm buying a '95 LS motor/tranny swap for my '92 VX HB. I have been sticking to my SOHC Z6 to stay in a competetive class in auto-x. However, the SCCA has just put ITR's in my class & won't move the damned Fiat X 1/9 that OWN DSP but I digress...

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to frankenstien the LS head onto the B20 block until I can find/afford an ITR head/tranny?

If so, I would put the phk pistons on the B20b rods AND bore it .040 over to 85mm with a 2-layer head gasket. I guess the P75 ECU (??). According to this that would give me almost exactly 10:1 cr. Should be a pretty damn torquey non-VTEC motor. Since I auto-x not drag, that should be fine for SM class until I can get the better flowing head and closer ratio tranny.

What are the draw backs/advantages in ya'lls opinion? Any interference problems with those pistons and that head combo?

Its basically a direct replacement. There's really no gains or disadvantages other than the fact the 2000-2001 LS heads have bigger Intake Ports and better cams...

Brian

What does figure is if this was in the right forum it might get more responses.

thanks for the move. I assumed since SWAP RELATED QUESTIONS ONLY was in bold, this is where I should have posted it.

Right, swap related goes where this was. You are asking about building an engine, hence it goes in the engine building forum, sweet huh?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 31 2005, 12:54 PM
Right, swap related goes where this was. You are asking about building an engine, hence it goes in the engine building forum, sweet huh?
[post=453839]Quoted post[/post]​

what would be sweet is if I could only find someone wise enough to answer the question.

Don't worry, I'll save you (aka) answer your questions instead of feeling better about myself for flaming you.

- There is no reason you can't use an LS head on your b20 until you find a ITR head.
- I would not bore the b20 since the cylinder walls are weak.
- The only draw back is that you will spend money on a head that you are going to replace, so its kinda a waste. There will not be any interference problems with the pistons or head combo.

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Jan 31 2005, 06:38 PM
Don't worry, I'll save you (aka) answer your questions instead of feeling better about myself for flaming you.

- There is no reason you can't use an LS head on your b20 until you find a ITR head. ---- thank you. Finally!
- I would not bore the b20 since the cylinder walls are weak. ---- HUH?! :blink: first I've heard that
- The only draw back is that you will spend money on a head that you are going to replace, so its kinda a waste. There will not be any interference problems with the pistons or head combo. ---- I already have the LS head so I'm just wasting time, not money.
[post=454057]Quoted post[/post]​

However, I have been convinced that I need to build the motor once. I do not want to wait but my arm is being twisted really hard.

ls and b20 heads are 99.8% identical. brian11to1 pretty much summed it up.

b20b/z blocks are the weakest honda blocks made (recently anyway), due to their sleeve design.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 1 2005, 12:24 PM
ls and b20 heads are 99.8% identical. brian11to1 pretty much summed it up.

b20b/z blocks are the weakest honda blocks made (recently anyway), due to their sleeve design.
[post=454505]Quoted post[/post]​

so I should "just say no" to boost? Fine for now. If I want to boost I'll build up he B18 block.

It depends on your power goals. The b20b will be fine if you stay low on the psi with a medium sized turbo. But more than anything make sure you have a REAL Engine management system. so you can properly tune your system.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Feb 1 2005, 12:24 PM-->
ls and b20 heads are 99.8% identical.  brian11to1 pretty much summed it up.

[post=454505]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly. And thanks B'. I asnwered the question, I didnt flame him. Im in the same situation. I have a 1998 B20B Bottom end that Im sticking a 2000 LS Cylinder Head on. The only difference is... 1990-1998 LS Headers have smaller INTAKE PORTS than the 1999-2001's. Im not sure how much smaller they are, but they are in fact smaller.

ahedau
@Feb 2 2005, 02:07 AM
so I should "just say no" to boost? Fine for now. If I want to boost I'll build up he B18 block.
[post=454978]Quoted post[/post]​

You seem pretty much set on building once. Then if you want to run higher boost... sleeve the block. Benson, Dart, Darton, Golden Eagle... get it sleeved. If you have any more questions, shoot me a PM.

Brian

Back