Ichigo is joining the marines. ^_^

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Once you take the oath you're in and subject to whatever schedule assigned - that's a fact.

no it's not a fact. you don't have to do anything until you get off the plane at basic training. You will take the oath when you enlist, but you could walk in to meps the next day or to you recruiter and tell him to get fucked if you want. Nothing will happen. you aren't in the military until you put on the uniform.

remember, the deal with being in the military is that they like to instill fear in you and will always lie to you. 99% of what they say is bullshit. if you aren't paid, uniformed, fed, and fucked by the military, you're not in the military and they have zero control over you. if you wake up at home and not on a military base or a sand ditch, you're not in the military. and treat it as so.

I'm Going into the reserves and if I really like it I was told I can activate myself and versus the (1 week & 1 month) deal I can go for 6 months and come back. I want to keep my job and civilian life here but that may change.
This is not as easy as your recruiter would have you believe, the marine corp is down sizing and the fact is is on the active side of the house, so most reservist want ing to go AR(active reserves) dont get too.
and I'm going into the marines aiming for LAV Crewman, but after I get in and after about 6 months to a year, I really want to be into Reconnaissance, truly a Scout Sniper. So once I get in I'm going to train my ass off in hope of being Physically (and mentally) fit enough and switch over to active and go for it!
If you are badly enough wanting to be a scout sniper then your going to have try to make two sacrifices right here. Your going to need to change your contract to active duty. While its not required reservist rarely get picked for scout sniper school. It take the sun the stars and moon to all align just right. also one of those unwritten requirement is you need to go in the 03 field, you need to be grunt to make them look at you. But again not required you could just be a god among pog's.
If you want to go MARSOC it is possible they choose from everyone just make sure you are a pt stud and can swim better then Micheal Phelps.

as for the lat move or mos move you can do it after two year in your field. But it is really hard to do because new boots are always being pushed in so they get priority over you

best way to get better at pull ups is pull ups and crunches as planks
and just keep pushing yourself on running cause that is the hardest one for alot of people. But other then that good luck and semper gumby

oh and if its in writing your still going to get fucked oorah

no it's not a fact. you don't have to do anything until you get off the plane at basic training. You will take the oath when you enlist, but you could walk in to meps the next day or to you recruiter and tell him to get fucked if you want. Nothing will happen. you aren't in the military until you put on the uniform.

remember, the deal with being in the military is that they like to instill fear in you and will always lie to you. 99% of what they say is bullshit. if you aren't paid, uniformed, fed, and fucked by the military, you're not in the military and they have zero control over you. if you wake up at home and not on a military base or a sand ditch, you're not in the military. and treat it as so.
So, you're suggesting that not reporting to basic training as ordered isn't AWOL? I got active duty orders before I reported and a plane ticket.

So, you're suggesting that not reporting to basic training as ordered isn't AWOL? I got active duty orders before I reported and a plane ticket.

That's precisely what i'm saying. you have orders, you have a contract, you have an oath. but you aren't under jurisdiction of the UCMJ. If you sign up and enlist at MEPS, you can not and will not be held accountable under military law. Until you have an official rank, salute officers, and get paid by the military, you aren't in the military. If you sign up at MEPS, you can just not show up, and there are no repercussions.

^ That's never been my understanding, but I enlisted about 100 years ago. Just took a quick look at some MEPS information and it seems to confirm the old school way could still be in practice today - Oath + contract = enlistment.

Have a look: The 2nd MEPS Experience, Page 3

"The Oath of Enlistment

Following the pre-accession interview, and the separations policy briefing, you'll receive a pre-oath briefing (how to stand at attention, bending your elbow at a 90 degree angle, etc). You're then ready to take the active duty oath. Once you take the oath, you are on active duty. You are an active duty member of the United States Military."

I'm no expert in military affairs by any means, in fact had to look up what a MEPS was! LOL!

Cheers. To the OP, I hope you enlistment(s) go(es) well for you. :thumbsup:

^ That's never been my understanding, but I enlisted about 100 years ago. Just took a quick look at some MEPS information and it seems to confirm the old school way could still be in practice today - Oath + contract = enlistment.

Have a look: The 2nd MEPS Experience, Page 3

"The Oath of Enlistment

Following the pre-accession interview, and the separations policy briefing, you'll receive a pre-oath briefing (how to stand at attention, bending your elbow at a 90 degree angle, etc). You're then ready to take the active duty oath. Once you take the oath, you are on active duty. You are an active duty member of the United States Military."

I'm no expert in military affairs by any means, in fact had to look up what a MEPS was! LOL!

Cheers. To the OP, I hope you enlistment(s) go(es) well for you. :thumbsup:

We are going to need to agree to disagree on this one.

From your link:
Some unacceptable conduct may be grounds for involuntary separation, such as:

This is the MEPS process before you have a military ID, Rank, Uniform, PAY CHECK, or are subjected to the UCMJ.

If you are considered "active duty" at MEPS, you would get "discharged" and not "separated".

Also, the time between your first MEPS and being in DEP counts as inactive duty. This is the key part here. when you sign a contract, you are registering for 8 years inactive duty and 4 or 6 years of active duty. the time periods overlap. When I enlisted, I signed up in October and went to basic in July. I still owed 4 years active duty and only had a little over 3 years remaining inactive.

^ I'm ok with that. I won't characterize it as a disagreement. Separation -vs- discharge. Makes sense to me - I'm a believer.

I did an initial 6 year enlistment, took an honorable discharge and took a break for 9 years. Then re-enlisted for another 6 so I got he GI education benefits. Then, 26 months into the second 6 year enlistment, I requested and received an honorable discharge to pursue a career in the Defense Industry which involved relocation. That was 22 years ago.

Last edited:
Well I got to sign my contract today FUCK YEAH!!! ^_^
Like i said reserves 0313 LAV Crewmen with a 8 year contract (6 years active-reservist, 2 years inactive-reservist) and once I have my Recruiter turn in my transcript from tech I'll be a E-2 PFC Lee when I get out of Basic. My Ship date is on AUG 16th because i'm in the Delayed Entry Program but I hope to leave a little sooner.

change it to 4 years. seriously dude, if you like it enough, you will re-enlist. if you hate it, you will do anything possible to get those 2 years of your life back. assuming you are still alive.

If I don't like it, I'll just change to another MOS, I can change my MOS every 2 years.

thats great, but you cant change the military. and they will fucking OWN YOU. you'll see. you're still young.

Back