I'm confused!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SasSi

Ok. Here's the deal:
A while back I ordered my motor swap & paid extra for LSD tranny. The swap was supposed to come with either a S21 or Y21 tranny. According to the Honda transmission specs on here, neither of those are LSD. Anyway, the tranny was supposedly a Y21 with Kaaz LSD. It was definitely LSD, as far as Kaaz, I dunno. I sent it back because it sounded like shit. The guy said it was because it was clutch based instead of gear based. He said he'd send me a new tranny that is a gear based, LSD from the Honda factory- either a CTR or ITR tranny. I haven't installed the tranny yet, but I checked and it is LSD. Upon checking the sticker tonight, it says Y21. I know that just because that's the sticker that's stuck on there, it doesn't really mean that's what it is. Is there any code printed in the metal of the tranny so that I can find out exactly what I have???

Please help! Thanks!

not really, aside from the serial number that is rivited on, the only other marks are those that are painted on. if it is a true honda LSD, it should have the letters LSD painted in the front between the clutch fork and the top

It's supposed to be JDM & there's no serial number riveted on. I know what you're talking about b/c I see it on my stock tranny. I don't even think there's holes from rivets, as in I don't think there was ever one on the tranny. Although it does have the factory LSD on it, so I guess it is a genuine Honda LSD. Is there a JDM Y21 tranny that's LSD from the factory?

Note: Also, I don't think it's a Civic tranny because the breather at the top is 2-3 times as big as a S4C tranny breather.

Originally posted by JOHNNYLIGHTFOOT@Jan 31 2004, 05:32 AM
no, Honda didnt offer an optional LSD on the y21 tranny. even if it was a factory LSD i believe that it has clutches in it insted of gears, the clutches allow some slippage, to aid drivibility. here is a link for you, hope it helps. http://www3.honda-perf.org/community/membe...idb16/b16a.html

Dude, go sit in a corner and don't come out till you stop with the misinformation.

SasSi, the Y21 on the JDM Honda Civic SiRII and the JDM VTi (D15B sohc) BOTH came with factory LSD's. The SiRII had the Y21. So if you have a Y21 from Japan, and it has no bar inside it is from a Civic SiRII and LSD.

Here you go, striaght from Hondas website, I ran it through a translator....

s401b51ab3d0bb.jpg

And to all those I bitch at about the fact that SiR and SiRII are trim levels, here is the screen shot for the 92-95 SiR which as you can see, being a lower level wasn't indowed with an LSD, but rather had the same Y21 as the Statesside ones, and unlike the SiRII wasna automatic, only five speed...

s401b5278493f7.jpg

Oh, and here's the VTi's, note cam with...LSD...

s401b52dacd162.jpg

Sorry about the retarded huge pics, I forgot to resize :(

too big fucker, lol JK- :)

there should be a stamp on the outside of the tranny

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 31 2004, 02:03 AM
SasSi, the Y21 on the JDM Honda Civic SiRII and the JDM VTi (D15B sohc) BOTH came with factory LSD's. The SiRII had the Y21. So if you have a Y21 from Japan, and it has no bar inside it is from a Civic SiRII and LSD.

Thank you SOOOOOO much for the straightforward information! Ok, then what I have is a JDM Y21 from a SiRII. The first thing I did when I got the tranny was check the axle hole to make sure it was LSD, so I knew that much, but thanks to your help, now I know exactly what tranny it is. Thanks again!

Dude, go sit in a corner and don't come out till you stop with the misinformation. [/QUOTE]

[/quote]
I wasnt trying to misinform. I was going off the info that i found on the subject.
thats why i put the link in my post.

Im not trying to start a pissing match with you.

You got me, I was wrong. It happens, now lets move on

Back