Indexing spark plugs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtecvx

Has any body done this, and how do you keep the plug in the exact spot you want it, do you leave it loose?

indexing plugs imho unless your running a race motor is completely pointless and a complete waste of your time.

To index a plug you typically do it with the head off, so you can see exactly which way the electrode is pointing. now with the head on is a much tougher job, you need to know how many full lenght thread are there so you know how many damn indexing washers to use, so the electrode ends up in the right spot after so many turns.

And I highly suggest tightening your plugs , do not leave them loose. after time they will rotate out and eventually shoot out of the cylinder with your hood stopping it. It happened to my wifes old car. had a shop do a tune up for me plugs, wires, etc.. a few weeks later as she started her car up, bam, plug into hood = good size dent.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Dec 23 2002, 11:03 PM
after time they will rotate out and eventually shoot out of the cylinder with your hood stopping it. It happened to my wifes old car. had a shop do a tune up for me plugs, wires, etc.. a few weeks later as she started her car up, bam, plug into hood = good size dent.

:lol: I want to see this happen, some ricer with one of those c-through hoods, he is reving his engine with 8 other cars at the starting line with 100's of ricers lining the street. 8 ft long flames are shooting out their exhaust pipe Pink slips are on the line you could loose 10g's with this one race, An RX-7 rolls up with a huge system, and all of a sudden bang, "hum, does that mean go, no where not in track, what the hell could that be" You look at the hood and there is ELexximite 40000000X elctrode plug in the center of the big spiderweb crack. Maybe the next fnf.

Yeah you can't be leaving the plugs loose that's for sure. However, indexing on Honda motors really isnt' that difficult. You can mark the plug and where the electrode points with a marker. You have to find out which index washer means quarter turn, or half a turn etc....then put the index washer on...then tighten up the plug then look where the black mark on the plug is facing. I'm not sure if it'll work better pointing to the exhaust...or pointing to the intake.

With Honda's it's time consuming...but not really difficult...you should try it with my V8 Mustang...it's a pain in the ass!

Oh...and if you say something about me owning a mustang...my V8 will own pretty much all of you guys, unless you guys run low 10s or high 9s. We're talking the 1/4 mile, *not* the 1/8th mile. Only problem is...it costs me crazy amounts of gas money, even more money than my girlfriend! :rolleyes: Therefore I drive an Acura for economy, a quick Acura though!

Here in Vancouver, I'd suggest Mopac or Lordco, but down in the states? I have no idea...I'm sure someone else can help you out though.

Back