Is Ignition Upgrade Worth It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sprocker

I have a turbochaged F23a1 running a low 8 psi, and will be running around 14 once the pistons and rods get here. For ignition right now all I have is the MSD BTM to retard my timing if needed but it isn't the BTM that boosts the ignition. My question is, is it worth getting MSD SCI or 6AL ignition, will it make the car peppier. My other concern is are the MSD ignitions amplifiers, my additional injector controller uses the rmp signal from the distributor and says it can only handle 12V and so I know I can use the RPM signal like I was hooking up a tachometer but is that nessecary! I also have new 2 stages colder spark plugs and new OEM wires.

The stock honda ignition is good. But I am not sure if it is that good. I would get thicker wires and better plugs. The distributor and shit should be good though at that low of a boost.

if honda ignition is that good.. why did i have to re-gap my plugs from .044 to .035 to aliviate the 'hickup' lack of spark while boosting?!?!?

or.. im i doing something wrong?

I'd say stay away from the sci series. you get the same benifits fro ma 6a seies but less cost.

just a small correction

honda ignitions are good till about 350 hp Their wires are big enough to handle almost anything you can throw at it.

there really is no reason to upgrade the ignition unless your going for a full race setup.

Originally posted by sisteve@Jan 22 2003, 07:06 AM
just a small correction

honda ignitions are good till about 350 hp Their wires are big enough to handle almost anything you can throw at it.

there really is no reason to upgrade the ignition unless your going for a full race setup.

agreed. the numbers asmallsol posted are from a post i made a while back. i know countless cars in the low 11s and 10s still on stock ignitions.

i have ZERO intentions on upgrading mine until it is NECESSARY.

screw the money on it- sell the stuff you got, and get a hondata instead :) you will make more power anyway, and be tuned

Originally posted by kamaleon@Jan 21 2003, 08:49 PM
if honda ignition is that good.. why did i have to re-gap my plugs from .044 to .035 to aliviate the 'hickup' lack of spark while boosting?!?!?

or.. im i doing something wrong?

It's not lack of spark, it's that the larger gap you listed is too big and you could be snuffing it with boost.

Back