Is it really worth the extra money?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The best Brand name mountain bikes in the world are:
(no order)
- GT
- Giant
- Specialized
- Kona
- Rocky Mountain

GT WAS great... until they got bought out by k-mart or who ever it was.

i personally own a 1994 GT zaskar

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 8 2005, 02:11 PM
GT WAS great... until they got bought out by k-mart or who ever it was.

i personally own a 1994 GT zaskar
[post=537455]Quoted post[/post]​

Have you seen the 2006 roster? GT is STILL crazy good.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 8 2005, 03:10 PM
(no order)
- GT
- Giant
- Specialized
- Kona
- Rocky Mountain
[post=537453]Quoted post[/post]​

there are other nice ones. Iron Horse, Reighling (sp? same as the city) Haro, Marin and tons of others.

As for the "mongoose has front discs" chances are your looking at a pretty bad model of Mongoose. Mongoose every once in a while have a somewhat nice bike, but alot of them are "riced out" and pretty much are all for show, like suspension bikes with less then an inch of travel, disc brakes that come with shitty pads that you will litterally were out in a week, and a bike that will litterally wear out on you in under a year. Mongoose was bought out by Huffy and ever since then, they went to shit, however, I am sure they make a ton more money since now they are offered extremely cheap at department stores.

Also, don't limit yourself to the old school 27 speed style horizontal frame. There are alot of bmx/mountain bike blend bikes that are so bad ass. They are built like tanks, but have TONS of front suspension travel, really short bace, low slung back setting, disc brakes, and like 7 speeds. They are not terrible expensive like the realy nice dual suspension ect.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 8 2005, 02:10 PM
(no order)
- GT
- Giant
- Specialized
- Kona
- Rocky Mountain

Cannondale? Trek?

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Aug 8 2005, 02:38 PM-->
@Aug 8 2005, 02:10 PM
(no order)
-  GT
-  Giant
-  Specialized
-  Kona
-  Rocky Mountain

Cannondale? Trek?
[post=537471]Quoted post[/post]​

Cannondale....haven't heard that name in a while...they do make a good bike.

Trek, on the other hand, can lick my sweaty gooch. WORST bikes around.... that was one of my first mountain bikes ever......brake problems, soft rims, and a cracked frame (along with a cracked tooth), all came within 1 year of purchase. Never again.

Have you thought of buying a 24". Haro backtrail 24" are nice, adn i knowa few other BMX companies are making good ones now. thats what i will probably end up getting next.

Check Here

I my self own a Specialized Hardrock. Specs here:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9345

The base model is 350 bucks and in my opinion is a great bike. My dad has had his stump jumper for 20+ years. Specialized makes some good quality stuff.

EDIT:

I agree though you should go down to a actual bike shop and check some bikes out there. It really needs to fit you well to be a good bike.

Back