Is my idle normal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigBoy

Just bought a b16 ef

When i turn it on it goes to about 1900 and when i start driving it goes down to 1000. It just seems too high. For example when im on the freeway going 70-75, my rpms are at 4000-4500. And since its got the mugen chip it goes in and out of vtec at 4400. Very annoying. Is this normal?

The idle sounds normal, my a2 idles between 500 and 1000 when it's warmed up.

Do you mean by "in and out" that vtec engages at 4400 rpm? That seems low, I dunno why they set it there on a stock engine.

Yeah, mine usually runs about 1500 at startup and about 800-1000 once warmed up. Freeway RPM's are high because of the rediculously closed geared b16 tranny, thats completely normal. And finally, get rid of that POS mugen chip. Your VTEC should engauge at 5200rpm (or something like that) not 4400. That low and you'll be losing a lot of power.

I'd say, double check your vacum hoses and find a stock ECU and you'll be set to go.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@May 31 2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, mine usually runs about 1500 at startup and about 800-1000 once warmed up. Freeway RPM's are high because of the rediculously closed geared b16 tranny, thats completely normal. And finally, get rid of that POS mugen chip. Your VTEC should engauge at 5200rpm (or something like that) not 4400. That low and you'll be losing a lot of power.

I'd say, double check your vacum hoses and find a stock ECU and you'll be set to go.
[post=505958]Quoted post[/post]​

so all i need to do is swap in a stock ecu and thats it?

Back