JDM D15b into 1990 DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91hatch757

I will be swapping the JDM D15b into my 1990 DX Civic Hatch. Which damn ECU do I use? I already have the distributor out of a 1991 si! Please someone clear this up! I heard that tyhe P08 which is the ECU that came with the engine is OBD1. The distributor I have is OBD0. Is there a way to use those two? I would hate to have to buy another distributor. The main reason why is that P08 are pretty cheap compared to the rest. Also the P08 has vtec already? Or will I need something else to kick in the VTEC? I know its a lot of questions but hopefully someone can just run through them really quick!

From what I know, the D15b has a differene kind of vtec, I think like a 3 stage vtec. If you want to take full advantage of it, you should get the ecu that comes with the motor. Just a heads up.

Originally posted by Nopspawn@Jul 13 2005, 03:35 PM
From what I know, the D15b has a differene kind of vtec, I think like a 3 stage vtec. If you want to take full advantage of it, you should get the ecu that comes with the motor. Just a heads up.
[post=525609]Quoted post[/post]​

a D-series with 3 stage vtec? I don't think so, the k22 has three stage vtec.

Originally posted by Chauncey_333+Jul 13 2005, 04:29 PM-->
@Jul 13 2005, 03:35 PM
[post=525609]Quoted post[/post]​

[post=525655]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually certain years of the JDM D15b came with 3 stage VTEC!

Indeed there are 2 versions of the jdm D15B VTEC.

The most common come with 1 solenoid and are the usual type.
Then there are the 3 stage, which have 2 solenoid valves.

I`think` you can use any obd1 ecu with the most common version like a p08 (not sure about vtec on that one) .. or even a usdm p28.

Regarding obd0 dizzy .. i have no idea how to connect that one. Why on earth did u get an obd0 dizzy and didnt use the one connected to the engine ? Wasn`t there ?

Originally posted by Chauncey_333+Jul 13 2005, 03:29 PM-->
[post=525655]Quoted post[/post]​

Wrong. What's a K22? The K blocks don't have 3 stage VTEC at all.

vtecjdm
@Jul 16 2005, 04:46 PM
Indeed there are 2 versions of the jdm D15B VTEC.

The most common come with 1 solenoid and are the usual type.
Then there are the 3 stage, which have 2 solenoid valves.
[post=527339]Quoted post[/post]​

Check out the two solenoids:

D15B.jpg

You won't be able to use your obd0 distributor if you are using a obd1+ ecu.

For the normal vtec jdm d15b, you can use the d16z6 dizzy. For the 3-stage d15b, you can use the civic 1.6l non-vtec dizzy, housing part number td-80u, all assuming you are using an obd1+ ecu.

well, the P28 doesn't have the aggressive maps that the P08 has, but works on the single stage vtec D15B as i was running the same setup in my EG8. But i doubt there is any other ecu out there that would control the three stage besides the one that is originally mean't for it. You might beable to chip an ecu to do so, but i'm not real familiar with that. And you can't use your obd0 dizzy if your gonna use the OBD1 ecu.

Originally posted by civic92jak@Aug 7 2005, 06:17 PM
well, the P28 doesn't have the aggressive maps that the P08 has, but works on the single stage vtec D15B as i was running the same setup in my EG8. But i doubt there is any other ecu out there that would control the three stage besides the one that is originally mean't for it. You might beable to chip an ecu to do so, but i'm not real familiar with that. And you can't use your obd0 dizzy if your gonna use the OBD1 ecu.
[post=537067]Quoted post[/post]​

I got rid of the OBD0 dizzy and I have a OBD1 dizzy! P08 are cheaper and yet people insist on using the P28! I also heard you will lose performance usinmg the P28! This is so confusing!

Originally posted by 91hatch757+Aug 7 2005, 11:01 PM-->
civic92jak
@Aug 7 2005, 06:17 PM
[post=537067]Quoted post[/post]​

I got rid of the OBD0 dizzy and I have a OBD1 dizzy! P08 are cheaper and yet people insist on using the P28! I also heard you will lose performance usinmg the P28! This is so confusing!
[post=537158]Quoted post[/post]​

Not true I have a OBD1 JDM D15B running off a p28 and it does fine, I also have another 5 speed p28 forsale if anyone needs it

Back