JDM D15b into 1990 DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91hatch757

I will be swapping the JDM D15b into my 1990 DX Civic Hatch. Which damn ECU do I use? I already have the distributor out of a 1991 si! Please someone clear this up! I heard that tyhe P08 which is the ECU that came with the engine is OBD1. The distributor I have is OBD0. Is there a way to use those two? I would hate to have to buy another distributor. The main reason why is that P08 are pretty cheap compared to the rest. Also the P08 has vtec already? Or will I need something else to kick in the VTEC? I know its a lot of questions but hopefully someone can just run through them really quick!

you have to make if MPFI...because you only have DPFI....thats the first thing...sorry but ive never researched things for SOHC...

Multy Point Fuel Injection=MPFI
Dual Point Fuel Injection=DPFI

you will hav to convert to obd1 because there arent any obd0 SOHC vtec engines. Buy the new distributor, make a dist harness or just hack it up and solder it all together with thte new plugs. get teh ECU harness for the conversion. and you should be good to go. you also need the obd1 4 wire O2 sensor.

On that engine i would definately convert to OBD1 to use a P08 or P28 ECU.
http://www.rywire.com has all your wiring.
Call the phone # on the homepage and we'll help you understand what is necessary.

Never cut wires at the 7 pin distributor plug, the pins can be de-pinned and reinserted into the new obd1 style plug, no need to destroy your harness. The 2-pin plug will need to be soldered unless you have factory honda pins to crimp on, like we at Rywire do. =)

I would get the P28, bc if later on you decide to boost it, or even if you want to tune this thing N/A the P28 is your best OBD1 bet.

Originally posted by B16CRX@Aug 11 2005, 08:00 AM
DirtyRice.org for free Mp3's, cd's, and other free shit!
[post=538823]Quoted post[/post]​

NONONNONONONONONONONONOONONONO! if you are talking aobut using a jdm d15b VTEC engine use a modified 89-91 civic si\ex mpfi distributor, a 88-89 integra ecu (7500 redline) and a vafc or a rpm switch to ativate the vtec! if i were you i would use a vafc and dyno tune your car... much better in the end. thats all you need, you dont have to go obd1. that shit is a headache!!

Be good

-DirtyRice-
!!!Got to my website and get my newest album free!!!

Originally posted by DirtyRice+Aug 15 2005, 07:56 AM-->
@Aug 11 2005, 08:00 AM

NONONNONONONONONONONONOONONONO! if you are talking aobut using a jdm d15b VTEC engine use a modified 89-91 civic si\ex mpfi distributor, a 88-89 integra ecu (7500 redline) and a vafc or a rpm switch to ativate the vtec! if i were you i would use a vafc and dyno tune your car... much better in the end. thats all you need, you dont have to go obd1. that shit is a headache!!

Be good

-DirtyRice-

SO let me get this straight. All I need is to modify a stock si distributor, mpfi wiring, and a VAFC for VTEC? That goes against everything that has been posted about this swap! Anyone else care to back this up! If this works it would be so much easier!

i just did this swap, I used the p08 ecu for that motor, and its a single wire o2 sensor. that ecu uses a single wire 02 sensor. you can use a 4 wire, but you need to modify the ecu.\

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Librar...To4WireO2Sensor

i decided to run the p08, later on if i do another swap requiring a four wire 02 sensor, you can run the extra wires to the ecu plugs.

you can program both the p28 and p08, but the po8 was programmed specifically for the d15b

do not hack up anthing, get a engine harness from rywire.com and be done with it, run the dizzy that came with the d15b.

my 2 cents..... beotch!

Originally posted by 91hatch757+Sep 18 2005, 10:41 AM-->
Originally posted by DirtyRice@Aug 15 2005, 07:56 AM
B16CRX

Be good

-DirtyRice-

SO let me get this straight. All I need is to modify a stock si distributor, mpfi wiring, and a VAFC for VTEC? That goes against everything that has been posted about this swap! Anyone else care to back this up! If this works it would be so much easier!
[post=556232]Quoted post[/post]​

I suggest obd1, its a very easy conversion, and vtec on a toggle switch is not a good idea

Originally posted by droppedcrxsi+Sep 20 2005, 02:41 AM-->
Originally posted by 91hatch757@Sep 18 2005, 10:41 AM
B16CRX

Be good

-DirtyRice-

I suggest obd1, its a very easy conversion, and vtec on a toggle switch is not a good idea
[post=556963]Quoted post[/post]​

Toggle vtec will mess your motor up, and kill power.

Originally posted by B16CRX+Sep 20 2005, 07:47 PM-->
Originally posted by droppedcrxsi@Sep 20 2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by 91hatch757@Sep 18 2005, 10:41 AM
B16CRX

Be good

-DirtyRice-

[post=556963]Quoted post[/post]​

Toggle vtec will mess your motor up, and kill power.
[post=557367]Quoted post[/post]​

Is a VAFC still consider a toggle switch type device or is it okay for powering VTEC?

Okay heres my current track of what I am doing! Please reply all you want but I am not going OBD-1 to save time!

1. Honda JDM D15B from Makota Engines in Chesapeake VA for 250.00 :worthy: !
2. Integra PG7 ECU
3. DX tranny (can't find an SI cable tranny anywhere for a good price :angry: )
4. Fields VAFC for VTEC and tuning

Will this work? I will be using the distributor that came wqith the engine and from what I understand it can be modded! Also will I need a 4 wire or 1 wire O2 sensor?

Back