K series Engine into a '96 TEG?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KueDAWG

HI There guys. I am a complete Newbie here so excuse my ignorance. However, I was wondering if it was possible to drop one of theose RSX type S engines into a 96 TEG. Its a 4 door LS (Not sure if that even matters). I was just wondering Cuz If I remember rite, its a 200HP engine that has i-VTEC and a 6 manual speed tranny. I just though tthat would Kick IzASS if it were put in a teg. PLease enlighten me.

sure it can be done if you have $20,000 to do it.

the motor alone will go for $10k easy- finding a master welder and gettin gmounts made another couple- finding a tranny that has 6 reverse gears? priceless

its not worth the time. if you want 200 horse, get an h22

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 11 2002, 04:09 AM
sure it can be done if you have $20,000 to do it.

the motor alone will go for $10k easy- finding a master welder and gettin gmounts made another couple- finding a tranny that has 6 reverse gears? priceless

its not worth the time. if you want 200 horse, get an h22

Two things:

#1. Why the hell is everyone doing up so late (or early whichever way you look at it)
#2. For a lot less money you could go a lot faster. (B20, LS/VTEC, Type R etc.)

you guys need some sleep,

KueDAWG- what are you trying to get out of this, daily driver, strickly drag, auto cross. How much money do you want to spend, do you want to go fi or na. You already have an ls so that has a b18b, great for running boost (boost not juice). With a turbo 4 door, it could be a great sleeper car

Well I was thinking of making it a daily driver/sleeper. BUT the reason I wanna switch engines is because I have an Automatic Tranny. So My reasoning was to BUy an engine package that comes with the MAnual tranny and do a conversion. I was thinkin along the lines of the old addage about displacement and so I figured the Kseries engine (being 2 liter) woulda been BAD ASS. What are the pros and cons of the recommended H22 SWAP? WOuld that beat out the Type R?

OH and as far as money's concerned, My sis is a mechanic and I do Auto body (Or at least I will be doing it officially come June). We wanted to Put together a BAd ass Lil 4 Door. U know, Something to shut up all those DaRn BMW's that keep smokin me rite now..... Heh heh. SO I guess the point is, THe money aspect is not a prob when it comes to LABOR.

Then a B18B or a B18C is your best bet. The auto to manual won't be easy, if you don't have too much invested in this car already it might be easier/cheaper to sell it and get a car that is already a 5 speed.

WHy Would U recommend a B series over the H22? Isn't the H22 More pwerful thus leading to More Speed? Excuse my ignorance, Like I Said I'm New to this, But I would guess the Engine that Starts at 200 horses would be better than the one that caps off at 200. PLease enlighten Me cuz I am confused.

The B series by no means cap at 200 hp. The H22 weighs a lot more than a b series leading to understeer without serious suspension tuning. The H will require some reshaping of the engine bay (someone correct this if it is wrong). It will need new engine mounts. If you are comfortable with taking an engine completely apart and putting it back together you could go B20VTEC. Otheriwse I think you would be better off with a B18B or a B18C.

B20VTEC??? I have never heard of that. What Is IT? ANd why DO i Have to take the whole engine apart? Once again, Excuse my ignorance. :-(

1. H22 does not require reshaping of a 6th gen Civic's engine bay
2. H22 swap only weighs 70 pounds or so more than B series swap, but will take extra suspension work
3. H series aftermarket isn't as nice as B series
4. H series won't take forged pistons without a resleeve ($$$)
5. H series is more difficult to keep AC and PS than with B series
6. B20/VTEC info... click on the links in my sig

Originally posted by KueDAWG@Nov 11 2002, 08:37 PM
B20VTEC??? I have never heard of that. What Is IT? ANd why DO i Have to take the whole engine apart? Once again, Excuse my ignorance. :-(

just to let you know, if you are good at taking crap apart and working with engines, this is the one for you. It takes a long time but they rock when you are done. Calasta has a b20vtec and the kills list that he has is quite impressive. (was it you who said you beat a porsche plus tons of ws6's?)

I am liking the prospect of this b20 engine. sounds like ALOT of work but looks like a nice payoff. I have a few questions. Would it be worth going to all this trouble on an automatic tranny? Also, is the B20 Meant to be NA Only? What kind of top speeds we talkin about? Whats its quarter mile time? I AM SO Excited!!! :)

Top speed and 1/4's you are trying to mix apples with oranges. Top speed you want long as gears (aka ls tranny) 1/4's you want a short geared tranny (aka type r unless you are boosting) Plus we can not tell you because every car will run diffrently depending on how you tune it, what internals you decide to use, weight of car ect.

As everyone has said here, if you have not done much to the car so far, i would sell it and buy a stick, it is much easyer to deal with. Other wise you are going to have to pay some shop to do it, they will have to put a clutch pedal in and other little stuff but in the end it will cost you close to 1k just for that swap then you have your other swap that is going to cost you a ton of time, just buy a car with a stick

asmallsol- yes that's me with the 911 (non-turbo) and a ton of WS6s and Z28s on the kills list. Throw a few Mustang Cobras and GTs in there and it gets even beefier.

KueDAWG- The B20/VTEC can be built both for NA and for boost- it all depends on what your budget is and how much work you're willing to put into it. Don't think it's an easy engine combination- lots of people blow up their 'frankenstein' powerplants because they don't put it together correctly. That said, I've got over 40k miles on mine in under a year, and that's not babying it either. I don't have a good quarter mile time for you, but my top speed so far has been right up at 150mph on a JDM ITR transmission.

Oh yeah- that top speed would be because I ran out of revs and didn't want to float a valve, not because I ran out of power.

Back