k series into prelude?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pr1mo_13

so I've bene inot preludes for a few years, but bene too poor to get one. i'm done with school and working full time and want to get a 92-96 prelude and was wondering if a k24 block (from a CRV) and a k2012 head (rsx type s) woudl be able to be swapped into a prelude. I searched for some mounts for this swap, but couldn't find any information. this would be be a sick motor to put in a prelude and someone neds to make a mount kit to make it doable.. can anyone help me out here? Civics and integras get all the attention from the aftermarket world and F that. preludes need to take shit over!

Originally posted by pr1mo_13@Apr 18 2005, 04:02 PM
(from a CRV)
[post=488419]Quoted post[/post]​

or is it an element? i can't remember. i know there are mor evehicles to source from but can't remember off the top of my head

Prelude love, good to see. I haven't seen mounts for this yet, but I'm sure they'll be prevalent soon enough. For now, do-it-yourselfers will have to pave new ground. Being a V-8 S-10 guy before my Honda switch, I know the pain. I tell you what, I think you'd be miles ahead of the game to take a 500 dollar welding course at the local college(which I have) and make your own shit, as compared to buying mounts and learning nothing.

My .02, plus my 30 years of age to back it. I wish I would have learned to weld 10 years ago. Don't wait.

i agree, preludes get overlooked. personally, i love those cars. that sounds like a mighty ambitious swap you have in mind. if you have skills, i'm sure it can be pulled off somehow but i don't know if it's worth the work. a h22 or h23 swap with boost would be the cheaper way to go and would probably yield similar numbers. but that would be cool to have a k series in a prelude.

fuck it, when the cash comes in, it WILL be done. I don't care what I have to do. I know if someone does it, others will follow. it'd be nice to be the first to do it.

the reason I want to do it, is because i think it coudl definatly produce more power n/a than the h22. in some special edition modified magazine they showed the fastest street legal prelude in the US and it ran 11.2 something at 127 i think and had about 800 hp. of course turbo and nos, i'm more of an all motor n/a guy, not JUST because i'm not knowledgable with turbos, but it's more of a challenge to get the power without forced induction..

but bene too poor to get one

this is exactly why preludes don't get built as much and don't have the support...
they cost an arm and a leg in stock form, some already come with the h22, so a motor swap is not practical cause there isn't/wasn't anything better, except for the v6 out of an accord, but that requires serious fab work...

its cool to want to be a ground breaker, but its usually left to huge corporations like hasport or any of the other companies that sell mounts
i say prob 6 months tops before they come out with a k series kit for the ludes...

r and d is a huge investment, so unless you wanna start selling mounts its prob in your best interests to either go all motor with an H22, or wait a bit for the k series mounts...

k series are still dumb money, and are just getting their aftermarket base...

and preludes are a pretty heavy chassis as well... another reason they lack the love..

keep us posted if you go through with it...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 19 2005, 02:21 PM
but bene too poor to get one

this is exactly why preludes don't get built as much and don't have the support...
they cost an arm and a leg in stock form, some already come with the h22, so a motor swap is not practical cause there isn't/wasn't anything better, except for the v6 out of an accord, but that requires serious fab work...

its cool to want to be a ground breaker, but its usually left to huge corporations like hasport or any of the other companies that sell mounts
i say prob 6 months tops before they come out with a k series kit for the ludes...

r and d is a huge investment, so unless you wanna start selling mounts its prob in your best interests to either go all motor with an H22, or wait a bit for the k series mounts...

k series are still dumb money, and are just getting their aftermarket base...

and preludes are a pretty heavy chassis as well... another reason they lack the love..

keep us posted if you go through with it...
[post=488789]Quoted post[/post]​

:concur:
:yes:

not sure if anyone makes brackets for it yet, but how the K series sit in the car is very logical. If you think about it you would want your intake manifold in the front so that you can have a shorter distance from the filter to the engine, and then the header is in the back which also creates alot more flow (out with the old, in with the new). I agree preludes look great and are awesome cars; but, why not put a great motor like that into say a.... 92 civic hatch which is much lighter? also using the rsx head you might be able to hook up a jackson racing SC. i'd definately like to see this done, if you decide to go this route definately post pics.

right now i'm just looking to different manufactures to see about the mounts, and looking at the bare k24 to see about how it would be fabricated. I'm sure with a little help from a machine shop and some ingenuity it can be done. Electrical may also be a problem, but once i figure out the mounts, i'll get more into detail and see what electrical wiring problems may come my way.

as to why on a prelude... because i love preludes and i know many others do and i just want to make people notice it more. Having the lightest possible chassis is only needed if i am racing it which I won't. It'll be a daily driver which I may race a tiny bit just for fun. if i was going to go balls out tube frame racing woudl i even be in here asking questions? Just because one car is lighter doesn't mean that's the one i need to go to. I'd rather beat my own trail and have someonething nobody else in the world does.

Glad to hear people wanting to fix up cars THEY like, not just getting stuff because other people said it's better. For a daily driver, 75% of why I drive it is because of how it looks. If it can go fast too, I'm stoked. Not saying this in regards to ricing a car out, just in regards to which car to buy. IMO, I don't like the old preludes, but I have seen some nice ones. If I had to pick a honda to drive around town based solely on looks, the 97+ preludes are dead sexy, and I'd definitely tkae a k-series engine over an h22 any day, primarily for the lighter weight and better shifter on the tranny, not to mention 6 speed :) Good luck with the swap when you do it.

yeah, i totally agree with you that preludes look good and it'll be something totally different. But, what i think you should do is find someone with an rsx and i assume you already have the prelude, line them up side by side so you can get a good look on how different the engineering is to give yourself an inkling on how much work that will have to be done. Cuz there is alot you'd have to change over not just motorwise. Good luck on the project; keep us posted on how it goes.

if i had the money i'd send my lude out for some serious work and get it turned to rwd using the s2000 powerplant. now that would be awesome.

Originally posted by DesertNightEagle@Apr 25 2005, 02:00 PM
yeah, i totally agree with you that preludes look good and it'll be something totally different. But, what i think you should do is find someone with an rsx and i assume you already have the prelude, line them up side by side so you can get a good look on how different the engineering is to give yourself an inkling on how much work that will have to be done. Cuz there is alot you'd have to change over not just motorwise. Good luck on the project; keep us posted on how it goes.

if i had the money i'd send my lude out for some serious work and get it turned to rwd using the s2000 powerplant. now that would be awesome.
[post=491214]Quoted post[/post]​

Not just RSX, but TSX. My buddy has one, and all I could do is think "turbo". Like mentioned, the intake is towards the radiator, and the exhaust is out the rear. That is perfect for a turbo setup. There was a ton of room around the firewall, and a K24 isn't a bad displacement to begin with.

dude...go with an H22...youll most deffiantely be happier and you will incur alot less stress by just swapping that motor into your car.....trust me!!

yeah, i think right now this is kind of like a what if suggestion and how much possible. it'll be definately easier to go h22, but he wants to be different. so he should choose what he can do. if all fails you'll have alot of parts to sell.

Back