KA24DE Turbo Size question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
Well I was doing some research on turboing the old KA over at boostdesigns.com they have a great selection of aftermarket support BTW if you own a 240SX. But it left me wondering. There setups (the ones they sell) use a T3/T4 hybrid, they claim them to best they best choice powerbandwise. But considering some people use T04's on B series engines, a T04 sounds like a better selection for a KA24 doesn't it? If anyone has some knowlege on this I would appriciate it. The T3/4 just sounds kinda small...

I think they probably recommend using the hybrid because 1: it will put out less boost to start with (you might not be building the engine), 2: less lag, and 3: mildly cheaper unit.

The main problem with the KA is the nasty ass head and less desireable internals, but you probably knew that.

There used to be a site that specialized in KA-turbo builds and they had a very informative outline of all the things that should be done and what order you should do them in. They also sold parts. Unfortunately I can't remember the site. :(

you can pick up a ton of power by porting the head.

but i think either of the turbos on the site should be just fine for a mild build. or even for a medium build it you go with the bigger one.

http://www.ka-t.org

Quite a few T3/T4 setups work really well on the KA24- you have to realize that the turbo Honda guys are going to 9000rpm most of the time, and the KA will take you to 7000rpm tops (unless you build the head). The boost curve looks totally different with the larger engine but lower revs. Start reading compressor maps and you'll see what I mean. The T4 compressor section will still give you all the big boost that a straight T4 turbo would give, but the T3 turbine will make you spool faster. It's a good combo for a budget turbo setup- that or you could go balls out and get something like a GT35R.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2005, 05:01 PM
gt28rs. all day. perfect match.
[post=514030]Quoted post[/post]​

NO! Brian... its WAAAY TO SMALL to be good... fucking disco bitches....

t66 that bitch... :lol:

too small?

come on.

the VE of the ka is damn close to the VE of the 1.8 miata motor, which the disco was designed for. ka's won't rev out... and the .80 a/r is plenty.

No way man. I'd swap the cams and then run the bigger turbo.

:shrug2:

if you think so...

i mean, think about it... sr's come with a t25 with a smaller A/R
add a little displacement, and about the same VE (when turbo'ed at least)
and the 28rs is a perfect match IMO

Yeah, but the T25 still runs out of steam pretty quickly on an SR, not to mention a KA. The 28RS matched up to the flow rates of the KA block even calculating at 80% VE is still too small.

Back