Kids with smartphones?

Smartphone for 11 year old boy

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2 points against that
1 older cars lack certain safety equipment and are shown to be less safe, recent news article titled something to the effect of "older cars are killing our younger drivers"
and 2, if you have a daughter my money says you'll put her in a car that will have less of a chance of breaking down and leaving her stranded somewhere, where as you might be a little more confident having your son in an older vehicle
just 2 things to think about

2015 honda accord vs 1997 honda accord
Dual-Stage, Multiple-Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
SmartVent® Front Side Airbags
Side Curtain Airbags
2 airbags that are going to break your face

its all relative, and the comparison is apples to oranges as far as safety and technology with a car that's 20 years apart

I think all of this depends on the kid. At 11 kids are learning responsibility, helping around the house and such. If my kid is mowing the lawn safely, has goodgrades, has shown he respects his things, then I don't see a reason he can't have a phone. The cost will be shared as I believe him learning the value of money and hard work are important. I will give him ample opportunity to earn and save money. I know 11 years olds with smarts phones, computers, all that crap in their rooms. Some are fine. Some definitely are not. I had a computer in my room, a tracphone for getting picked up from events, and various other crap that ya'll would think was questionable. If I screwed up, I lost these priveledges.

2015 honda accord vs 1997 honda accord
Dual-Stage, Multiple-Threshold Front Airbags (SRS)
SmartVent® Front Side Airbags
Side Curtain Airbags
2 airbags that are going to break your face

its all relative, and the comparison is apples to oranges as far as safety and technology with a car that's 20 years apart

you've got me convinced. my kids are going to get smart phones and a brand new bmw.

just like my kid will have an 18 year old toyota camry or some shit as their first car.
My kid will get whatever he can afford to buy.

I started saving for a car when i was 12 by slinging papers.

but, what can kids do today? there's no jobs for them.

2 points against that
1 older cars lack certain safety equipment and are shown to be less safe, recent news article titled something to the effect of "older cars are killing our younger drivers"
and 2, if you have a daughter my money says you'll put her in a car that will have less of a chance of breaking down and leaving her stranded somewhere, where as you might be a little more confident having your son in an older vehicle
just 2 things to think about

we all drove 'em.
some of us still do.

we're all still alive.

if you get an older POS, they need a reliable cell phone. lol

I still haven't seen one good argument for a child not in high school getting a phone in this thread. There is absolutely no need for it. You or a responsible adult (with a phone) is going to be with that child most of the time. If there is no adult supervising that child then there are more alarming questions to be raised.

iphone_addiction_798185-300x211.jpg

I still haven't seen one good argument for a child not in high school getting a phone in this thread. There is absolutely no need for it. You or a responsible adult (with a phone) is going to be with that child most of the time. If there is no adult supervising that child then there are more alarming questions to be raised.
curious what grade(s) you teach, and what the cell phone problem is like in class? do you take phones away from kids? school policy on them?

curious what grade(s) you teach, and what the cell phone problem is like in class? do you take phones away from kids? school policy on them?

I teach high school technology education 9-12. To be quite honest our admin gave up on the problem a few years ago. There is supposed to be a three strike policy if students were on/using them in class. First time teacher takes it to the office. Second time parents have to pick it up. Third time it stays in the office the duration of the semester but nobody enforced it and it caused an uproar with the students and parents.

Personally I don't have an issue with them as long as they are used in a responsible/professional way. Technology literacy (correct use of) is part of my area. If a kid is spending 90 minutes blasting through CAD drawings and wants to use his phone to stream pandora to his ear buds I don't care. If they are using an app in my construction class to lay out rafters or figure out dimensions - awesome. If they are texting their buddies or playing trivia crack while I am presenting info THAT is no Bueno.

I'm 6'4" 280 so when I walk up to a kid and ask for their phone the first time I usually don't have any issue. My kids know I am a fair guy as I treat my classes more like a jobsite than a classroom. Second time I have to take it I typically take it to the office and then have a conversation with the student and sometimes their parents via phone and explain to them the potential negative effects of a phone addiction especiall relating to employment. To be honest I personally don't have to many issues but I like to think it is because i am pretty cut/dry and I am consistent. For classes like my yearbook class keeping connected via smart device is almost second nature with things like trello and celly being used by my staff.

I think all of this depends on the kid. At 11 kids are learning responsibility, helping around the house and such. If my kid is mowing the lawn safely, has goodgrades, has shown he respects his things, then I don't see a reason he can't have a phone. The cost will be shared as I believe him learning the value of money and hard work are important. I will give him ample opportunity to earn and save money. I know 11 years olds with smarts phones, computers, all that crap in their rooms. Some are fine. Some definitely are not. I had a computer in my room, a tracphone for getting picked up from events, and various other crap that ya'll would think was questionable. If I screwed up, I lost these priveledges.

:werd: Completely depends on the kid and his/her level of maturity.

Personally I don't have an issue with them as long as they are used in a responsible/professional way. Technology literacy (correct use of) is part of my area. If a kid is spending 90 minutes blasting through CAD drawings and wants to use his phone to stream pandora to his ear buds I don't care. If they are using an app in my construction class to lay out rafters or figure out dimensions - awesome. If they are texting their buddies or playing trivia crack while I am presenting info THAT is no Bueno.

:werd: Same as above. The kid's maturity level determines it.

He's gotta haveone! How else are bitches gonna text him nudies?

Really though, I don't think there is any reason for him to need a smart phone. There's wifi pretty much everywhere these days. A dumb phone that can text and call is more than sufficient.

Taking a poll. My 11 year old son desperately wants a smartphone. He has an IPod touch 5, can cruise the net, and has WiFi most of the time.

He's a good kid most of the time. Does well in school, and also plays 3-4 sports. The reason I am on the fence is that we pay a lot of money for travel ball, etc, and also he has the IPod that does most of what he is looking for. Do I need the Extra expense?

So, should he get a smartphone?

Yes...

A). So he doesn't get beat up for not having 1
2.) So you can track what he does
and D.) In case of emergency he should have a phone(guess it doesn't need to be a smartphone but i go back to reason A)

a
d
?
where did you learn how to count? lol

For classes like my yearbook class keeping connected via smart device is almost second nature with things like trello and celly being used by my staff.
You're using Trello? Nice, we use it as our kanban board for our scrums. How do you use it for yearbook production?

my old job used trello. i honestly can't stand it.

i found it to be completely disorganized. things get lost, buried... it's supposed to be a production enhancer, but all it did was slow things down.

we ditched it eventually and went with SmartSheet
https://www.smartsheet.com/

light years ahead of trello.
not free though

Back