Lateral Accelaration Of 1g In An Integra?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 3 2003, 01:45 PM
if you have enough power- you can drift anything.

drifting in a FWD car is really just sliding... regardless of how controlled or impressive it looks

Originally posted by B16@Feb 3 2003, 02:39 PM
i've had both 15", 17", and now 16" wheels. i must say, i think the 16" handle the best out of all 3. the 17's rubbed too much, and most come with a 7.5 width, which i think is too wide for our lil civics.

16's might help on handling but tires are harder to find for them and you miss the lightness (even a word?) of 15's but if you have a brake kit like yours, you defentently went with the better choice (16's over 17's)

Originally posted by asmallsol+Feb 3 2003, 01:30 PM-->
@Feb 3 2003, 02:39 PM
i've had both 15", 17", and now 16" wheels. i must say, i think the 16" handle the best out of all 3. the 17's rubbed too much, and most come with a 7.5 width, which i think is too wide for our lil civics.

16's might help on handling but tires are harder to find for them and you miss the lightness (even a word?) of 15's but if you have a brake kit like yours, you defentently went with the better choice (16's over 17's)

i dont know how 16" tires are harder to find? i called around to 10 different places to get the best price, they all had the size i was looking for. guess it depends on your location, and the demand for that size.

I am not talking about not alot of people stocking them, it is that the companys dont make alot of diffrent tires in 16's. Companies make a crap load for 17's and 15's, 16 is kinda an odd size

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 3 2003, 02:13 PM
I am not talking about not alot of people stocking them, it is that the companys dont make alot of diffrent tires in 16's. Companies make a crap load for 17's and 15's, 16 is kinda an odd size

not that i've noticed, every tire i've even considered getting made them in a 205/45/16

Well, apply physics kids!
Civic Wheels
18"-You wont race a civic with 18s, its for show, plus, why waste the tire? Unless you have a car designed around the 18" like the new 350Z where it has larger tires than us civic owners will use in our wells. 280+bhp tire.
17"-Decent for daily driver and show. Still semi-raceable whether straight line or road course.
17x7.5 is good for a car in the 230+bhp range.
16"-Less rotating mass, thin wheel wont take as much to spin either. Good tire for 150-250bhp.
15"-All Weather tires give a smooth ride, dry traction tires have excellenct acceleration. These tires often came stock with most Civics. You can basically put an bhp down on them, but their intention was for the low to mid 100bhp range. Less rotational mass allows you to burn-out much easier though, but your handling and acceleration pull a lot better in your road course.

And for "Duh" sake: If people are building all our Fast and Furious Drag Racers to run 10s or 11s and drive on the street, don't ruin your investment with $1200 17" lightweight wheels, buy 15" and take some time off your ride, and get the right tires. You shouldn't drag race on a tire that is designed to do well on road courses, but you shouldn't drag on the tires that keep you on the street either.

there still would be effect but if it steals 20hp from 300 hp, no big deal, that is only a 7% drop but when your 20 hp from 150, that is a 14% drop. Still either way, stick with 15's, better handling then 14's and better acceleration then 17's

Wow lots of good stuff still...when I am joy riding, I want my car to look nice (look close I said nice NOT rice) without sacrificing alot of performance, I should have 350ish hp on the weekends (15 psi on a t3/60-1) and I am not going to be bummed if I lose a little accelaration down low, I have been told that on the freeway that accelaration is actually improved, and that it would have a higher top speed (not that I am going to top out a teg with 300+ hp lol). But I hear anywhere above 70 mph that larger wheels have better accelaration, would this be true. And if 17's do indeed give you better traction down low that would be a bonus, btw the 17's I am getting are the racing hart cp8-r in 17x7, not 7.5. I dont think I should have any wheel well problems in an integra, Im not going to be slammed, just 2.25 in front 2 in rear.

well talk to b16, he did not have his car slammed but he did rub a little with 17's.

See my thing is i am just going to get one set of wheels that i will use during spring thru fall for both street and track. They are going to be light weight 15's, but i am not totally if i am going to go cheap rota c8's or get real forged wheels all wrapped in a good summer tire. For the winter, i am going to wrap my stock 14 sol wheels in an all season or winter tire because i found summer tires suck in the winter. The reason i am going 15's for both street and track is because tires are expensive for 17's, dont last that long and have little sidewall to absorb the shitty michigan roads (more flats, bent rims and shitty ride) Plus i dont have the money for 2 good sets of wheels.

Im not loaded either, I work 2 jobs, thats how this project is getting done. I am going to drive a crx in the winter and alot during the week to keep miles low once I swap in the built block. Minnesota roads are pretty decent actually so I am not too worried about bent rims or shitty ride. I am not having 2 full sets of rims, just the one set of racing harts, and 2 (a pair not a full set) of 15's with slicks for the track. Or I would really like a pair of 13x8" wheels with slicks but I dont know if I can afford that. This is mostly for my personal fun weekend warrior, that looks nice too, if I was all about just being fast as hell I would just do my crx. Which I do plan on doing someday down the road, I might just swap my block to the crx later if I get tired of my teg being too fast, and just use an obd0 head. But thats neither here nor there. Thanks for the help and the input! :worthy:

Yall are talking about 15s giving the best traction for road right? but are there any good brakes that can go in there? Iv noticed touring hondas run 17s (and some with 18s) because of large brake upgrades.

you cant compare a stricktly road course track car to your street car ... unless you are running a set of $5000 forged magnesium rims on a set of $400 each track tires, over a set of 13+inch ceramic rotors with 6 piston calipers in front 4 piston callipers in the rear... w/ a $20,000 suspension system

now if by chance i did just describe your street car... please allow me to just say "DAMN!!" :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

if not dont bother with the "well if its good for race cars its good for me" thought process

uhh i dont know where that came from but i was asking if there are good brakes that will fit 15s. the thing about the touring hondas was just an example of why some cars have large wheels.

yes, my 17's rubbed with only a 1.5" drop, on the cornering. you'll probably have to roll the lip in the rear up into the wheel well.

I would have to roll the rear fender in an integra, I am not sure about that. I have a friend with a 2.5" drop and 18's in his gsr (rice) and he has no rubbing problems. And he has gay coilovers too.

Oh yea and another reason I want my car to pull 1g in lateral accelaration is that with 300+ whp getting that safely to the road is going to be tough, and the less body roll laterally and horizontal (front to back if thats not the right term) is key from what I have been told. I dont want useless wheel spin ;)

haha good idea, what are some good ones, I guess treadlife isnt so important. I am looking into 205/40/17, which is the tire size b told me is best and since b is the swap god I do what he says ;). I want the stickiest tires that arent slicks that can get me say atleast 10k miles. Any suggestions, the TireRack.com blows, the way they describe every tire it sounds like they all have perfect traction and 50k mile treadlife lol. Any clues guys? I want to keep it around $100 a tire and keep them somewhat light. Thanks

i'll put my car up against almost anyone right now with 15 x 7's and falkens.

anything larger than 15' is too big...as you can put 225-45-15 hoosiers and DOMINATE an auto-x.

good luck with 16's or 17's, they're too big and they're too expensive.

Back