Let's see how much you've learned

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Aberdeen, Washington State

98520 Represent yo!!!!

have you guys heard about this SeaFoam stuff? I was reading a few posts on honda-tech.com and some people have the same problem and used SeaFoam and they say it took away the pinging and made their car run like new. I have no clue what it actually does or how it works.

I was looking up this topic for another thread...has anyone tried seafoam yet...seems like a cheap fix to try (i just have to have a car to try it on).

for what it's worth here, i used to work at AutoZone and 3 of my managers swear by seaFoam and Lucas, they refuse to put anything else in any of their cars.
One of the guys was a honda engineer for 11 years in ohio.
[ Yea, i know what you're thinking, why work at autozone making $12 an hour when you have $$$ like crazy from being an engineer at Honda???
Hobby job, must be nice huh? ]

Slight update:

My car started idling erratically. I adjusted my TPS, since it was a tad off. Like .540 instead of .500 on the multimeter.

Since adjustment, my warm idle went back to normal (it was fucking up for about two weeks after warming up.) My pinging is less, but still not gone. This may be due to the fact that I haven't readjusted my timing yet. The pinging isn't that bad, but I don't like ANY.

This motor is JDM correct, i am just going by whats in your sig... Are you certian this motor has never had internal mods? Have you pulled the head and seen the pistons... Is it possible that you are running more compression than you think and you are not running enough octaine or with to much dome you could be getting Piston to Valve contact. Have you tried using an auto stethescope?(spelling) Find out where that "knock" is coming from. then go from there... Are you plugs white or black, Are you ceritan you are applying enough spark. When adjusting timing are you doing this with a cam gears or at the distributer? Can you post a vid or sound file? I have done a number of h22 swaps and in most cases it wasnt absolutely necessary to swap in a walbro fuel pump but it certianly made a nice addition. Also is there a place locally you can have your injectors flow tested at? If you are still wrapping that motor out and it is detonating heavily i wouldnt expect much life out of it... But it is entirely possible its not knock and you have a heavy harmonnic vibration some on or in the block that could be throwing the CEL.... Man the list goes on and on there could be alot of possiblites.

Originally posted by irhavok@Sep 10 2005, 04:11 AM
This motor is JDM correct, i am just going by whats in your sig... Are you certian this motor has never had internal mods? Have you pulled the head and seen the pistons... Is it possible that you are running more compression than you think and you are not running enough octaine or with to much dome you could be getting Piston to Valve contact. Have you tried using an auto stethescope?(spelling) Find out where that "knock" is coming from. then go from there... Are you plugs white or black, Are you ceritan you are applying enough spark. When adjusting timing are you doing this with a cam gears or at the distributer? Can you post a vid or sound file? I have done a number of h22 swaps and in most cases it wasnt absolutely necessary to swap in a walbro fuel pump but it certianly made a nice addition. Also is there a place locally you can have your injectors flow tested at? If you are still wrapping that motor out and it is detonating heavily i wouldnt expect much life out of it... But it is entirely possible its not knock and you have a heavy harmonnic vibration some on or in the block that could be throwing the CEL.... Man the list goes on and on there could be alot of possiblites.
[post=552236]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, JDM.
Certain of no mods, fairly, but no.
Stethoscope would be a good start.
I time the engine at the distributor, since the cam gears are stock.
A vid is not possible, but maybe a soundfile later.
I wish I could have my injectors tested, but no, I don't know of a place.
As for life. I care, but I don't. If the engine is bound to blow, then it will, and I will replace it. I don't believe the detonation to be THAT bad, but I know that all detonation is BAD.
I have had no CEL in about a year. I used to fight a knock sensor code, but that has cleared since I replaced the knock sensor cable with shielded wire and readjusted my timing.

I want to readjust ONE MORE TIME, since throttle position might effect the maps of the ECU. Maybe I was right on before, but with different TPS readings, it may be off.

Hey, thanks for your comments. I love feedback......

yeah, my knock sensor is basically gone. Ive gotten it one time since i fixed my timing, and i hit about 7800 and i didnt hear a ping at all.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Sep 10 2005, 09:34 AM
yeah, my knock sensor is basically gone. Ive gotten it one time since i fixed my timing, and i hit about 7800 and i didnt hear a ping at all.
[post=552268]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't hear ping up high, but I don't know that you could hear it at that point. Also, since the fuel/timing changes when VTEC kicks, that might drop the ping in itself. My ping is half throttle or more at lower rpms, like 2k-4.5K

http://www.deatschwerks.com/

A good friend of mine owns that business and does one hell of a job with injectors. It would prolly cost you around 50 dollars shipped.

It doesnt make sence that your timing would be dead on and you running proper fuel that it would be pinging.....

What i would do

Spend the 100 on a walbro 255
Spend the 50 on injectors
If you havent, try a known good fuel rail.
I'll ad more later.

tab, what kind of shielded wire did you replace your wirirng with for your knocksensor? i hvae the same probn u have as i have stated earlier in this post. Id like to think i could get it to go away if i do what u did. let me knowwhats up....seemms how u have gotten it to go away. The frequent cel is starting to get on my nerves....oh and btw im wasted so excuse me typo errors

I went to radioshack and bought the only "shielded audio cable" that I could find there. It has a grey sheath, like a foil inner sheath, and a few wires running in the middle. The wires were so thin that I decided to twist them together, and use them as one wire. You have to buy a small roll of it, which is WAY more than you need, and I think it cost me about $8.

sweet dude, so youve not seen the bastardly cel since doing this? thanks fgor the insight. i will have to try this. Ill keep u posted on how it works out for me.

Originally posted by driver1@Sep 11 2005, 02:04 PM
sweet dude, so youve not seen the bastardly cel since doing this? thanks fgor the insight. i will have to try this. Ill keep u posted on how it works out for me.
[post=552671]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, it made a big difference, and cut the code out about 95%. I cut out the rest by playing with my timing a bit. I actually ended up advancing my timing to make the engine ping less. Go figure. I got better performance, and less ping. :)

Like mentioned above, I should retime my engine since I adjusted my TPS, to see if that played a part.

Back