Lightening And Balencing Bottom End

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

how does this affect the engine performance wise, andany other information on it
by the way engines an all motor (or as we say in england N/A) b16a2 170hp

Originally posted by richie_vei@Jan 11 2003, 04:01 AM
how does this affect the engine performance wise, andany other information on it
by the way engines an all motor (or as we say in england N/A) b16a2 170hp

If you lighten the crank, then it means less weight to spin, making it spin up quicker and faster, but i'm sure it also increases your chance of spinning a rod (i'm not sure)..

Just like.. a lightened flywheel allows it spin quicker, putting more down faster.

balancing a rotating assembley has the advantages of less vibration, wear and more mileage anp power. It's not very expensive to have done especially considering all the advantages. Honda does this to all motors they produce while they are in the factory. Making the assembley lighter allows for higher revs and less power is wasted moving parts therefore more to put to the wheels.

It doesn't increase the chance of spinning a rod bearing what it does is weaken the crank because you are removing material. If it is done well it won't weaken the crank enough that you would ever have a problem with it. That being said there are companies that sell light weight Honda cranks. About balancing, Honda does a great job of balancing the factory equipment you really don't need to balance the rotating assembly unless you have changed something there (pistons or rods, but not pulleys or a flywheel as these should be balanced when you get them). You can take a machine shop your entire rotating assembly (PP, clutch, flywheel, crank, rods, pistons, rings, and crank pulley) and have them balance the entire thing. I am planning on this after I get pistons and rods.

i had been told by a mate that the engine revs easy and would like to think that on a high reving engine this would be an advantage my plans are this
full rebore on bottom end with 1.8 type r pistons n rings
skunk stage three cams or somthing similar mugen cam gear(lifters, springs)
APEXi VAFC
uprated inlet manifold dont know which 1 yet
Uprated exhaust manifold probably DC sports
thats just the start of it but think its a good list

I am sure a rebalance would help, but if all you are doing is adding ITR pistons to your GSR I wouldn't expect huge gains from the balancing.

Are you sure you want to run the stage 3's. I don't have any direct experience with them, but I have been told that they are not extremely streetable.

its a weekend car and its isnt a gsr bottom end its a B16a2 bottom end Re-bored to 1800 with civic type-r (ek) 96 ish shape pistons sorry for not being more precise
laters Richie

Most of the time when a Honda bottom end is "lightened" the cranck shaft counter weights are being "knife-edged". This removes material from the counter weights for quicker revs --but they are edged for preventing "windage-loss" which is to make it easier for the crank to spin in the pan and is to keep excess oil from coating the crank. If you hogged out the cylinders that much I hope you are going to sleeve it.

Back