Looking for advise on engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cram72

Hello everyone. I need some help. I'm a hobbyist engine builder, but I've only built carbed V8 horsepower. Well now I find myself in a new world with a little four cylinder engine. I have a 1997 Accord EX F22B1 VTEC - 5 speed. I'd like to do a swap with one that will give me more hp than the F22B1. I just dont know enough about Honda engines so I'd like to hear what some of you would recommend me using ...keeping these things in mind:

-I don't want to spend thousands
-I don't want to make any structual modifictions to the car(willing to make minor ones ..maybe)
-I would like to keep the same tranny, but if not possible then I'll deal with it.

From my research so far it seems that just about any JDM engine could be put in anything with enough work and mods. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm willing to do the work and pay for what I need to do it right. I am fully aware that I need to get an engine with the ECU and harness. What I am mainly concerned about is the engine mounting to the car, trans mounting to engine, and any other mods. Any advise from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

id say for the accords fatty weight u should put in an h22a
but that require structural modifications and thousands
but would prolly be what ur looking for

F22's are VERY boost friendly. If you wanted to save some money, boosting will give you pretty good results for less than an H22 swap--which would be the next best thing.

You seem pretty intelligent, so I'm sure you know that piecing together a turbo setup is much better than buying a kit. I'm also sure that you are aware of the fact that getting it tuned is the ONLY way to go.

i dont know anything about those f series engines, but yeah you could piece together a full proof kit for 2k-3k depending on how nice u wanted it, plus room to upgrade later if your short on cash

Thanks for the replies. I had thought about installing a turbo on it, but this engine has almost 189K and the lower end starts to clatter around 3 r's. I think boosting this one might send the lower end out the bottom(in pieces). So I'm faced with getting a different engine no matter what. I'm not against rebuilding this one, but I got say that the cost for the performance parts aren't what they are for a small block chevy(you know what I mean)

I already have a general idea what I'd have to spend if I acquire another F22 and boost it. I know This is an almost impossible question to answer because of too many unknown variables, but can anyone say what kind of hp increase one would expect boosting an F22B1. I suppose it depends on the pressure, but generally what kind of gains?

Now on the flip side, lets say I decide to go with an H22. Can someone give me a realistic dollar amount on what I would be spending to do the job right? ...And I'm not looking to create a frankenstein. Also does anyone know if someone has posted a how to do an H22 swap on an Accord?

Thanks again.

Roughly, you are looking at about $2k for an H22A...

H22A swap
Hmotorsonline.com H22A swap

I would say anywhere from 3-3.5k will get the H22 into your Accord.

You could get an F22B and build it out of the car to your specs. Most of the motors that you can order from places like Hmotors or other sites are good, reliable, low-mileage motors that won't need anything...

F22B Motor

if u pieced together a turbo set up using a few online turbo kits as a guideline u could obtain a pretty average kit for 2500 using brand new parts, no skimping out or trash digging at all.
like most kits using a t3/t04e turbo boosting at 7 psi could get u around 250whp and a fat torque number...where as an h22a's whp would be around 175

engine-500
clutch- 350
turbo kit (including fuel management)-2500
tune-200

same price or so as an h22a swap but a hell of a lot quicker :]
take a kit like this and build off it Turbo-Kits.com 94 - 02 Honda Accord LX, EX Turbo Kit

Thanks for the advise guys! Gonna look into both setups. I appreaciate your help. I'll let you know what I decide and I'm sure I'll be back for more advise later.

Thanks!

I did an H22A swap on a 92 Accord and I didn't make any structural mods with the exception of moving two transmission studs. Which required dilling/tapping two extra holes that just weren't drilled to size. Otherwise it was a drop in affair.

go w the h22a swap jdm 220hp if it has a # after the last letter than its usdm 190 hp. heres the h22 swap guide i used for my 95 ex. at the end of swap dont forget
to rewire fuel injection resistor box. its rite by the left hood hinge, looks like a little box w fins. if not car wont start. dats what tells the injectors to fire. use your accord harness. and find a p06 ecu, dats the cheapest ecu u can chip for a h22 basemap. oh and all the motor mounts work w the h22 off of f22 except driverside mount. find a 94 prelude drivers mount. and while ur taking the motor
mount get the throttle cable w foot pedal too. hope this helps. check out this attachment below and print it.

View attachment 16388

go w the h22a swap jdm 220hp if it has a # after the last letter than its usdm 190 hp. heres the h22 swap guide i used for my 95 ex. at the end of swap dont forget
to rewire fuel injection resistor box. its rite by the left hood hinge, looks like a little box w fins. if not car wont start. dats what tells the injectors to fire. use your accord harness. and find a p06 ecu, dats the cheapest ecu u can chip for a h22 basemap. oh and all the motor mounts work w the h22 off of f22 except driverside mount. find a 94 prelude drivers mount. and while ur taking the motor
mount get the throttle cable w foot pedal too. hope this helps. check out this attachment below and print it.

View attachment 16388

Back