loud ticking on my d16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok guys i think im screwed. i bought a d16z6 motor, trans, wiring harness, ecu, and axles a couple of weeks ago for $400 from a guy here in town. it has ran fine till now. when i get above 3500 rpms it starts ticking. now i know hondas tick a little but this is pretty loud. it almost sounds like its knocking. my dad thinks its somethin in the head.(which i hope it is cause i can get one for cheap) but ive got a bad feeling its got a bad wrist pin or it spun a rod bearing and its knocking. anyone had this happen???? thanks!!!

Put some oil in it :p

Ticking and rod knock are two completely different sounds. Sounds like you have a problem with valve lash, maybe a bent valve or some other head problem.

i hope thats it. i dont think i need oil. it shows full on the stick. i just put a quart of lucas in like the day before it started. im pullin the head in a couple days cause i got another one in the machine shop gettin resurfaced and pressure tested.

Quoted post[/post]]
i hope thats it. i dont think i need oil. it shows full on the stick. i just put a quart of lucas in like the day before it started. im pullin the head in a couple days cause i got another one in the machine shop gettin resurfaced and pressure tested.
Once i put some 'oil fixer upper' not lucas, but same kinda shit.. my prelude broked a rod that night.
But it DOES not sound like a block issue.. since usually the noise is pretty constant, and getting alot worse by the second, until you finally blow a hole in your oil pan, and the rod breaks in half, falls down and the crank pushes the rest of it thru the block..
yea... so i miss my prelude :cry:
Is that the normal Lucas 'oil treatment'?

lifters?? on our way home from showing Ji the celica the headgasket blew and had a loud ass ticking sound...it turned out to be the lifters. atleast i think ji said it was the lifters....

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Once i put some 'oil fixer upper' not lucas, but same kinda shit.. my prelude broked a rod that night.
But it DOES not sound like a block issue.. since usually the noise is pretty constant, and getting alot worse by the second, until you finally blow a hole in your oil pan, and the rod breaks in half, falls down and the crank pushes the rest of it thru the block..

lol your better off....my prelude is worse than an overly needy girlfried...she always wants new toys

try retarding your timing or running higher octane gas...
retart cam timing or ignition???

yea the nomal lucas treatment

ok heres the symptoms...... ticking above 3500 rpms, loss of power, and it has i kind of hissing at about 5000 rpms. well i dont really know how to explain the sound. its not really hissing but.... if you've ever heard a good set of broken in skate bearings.... thats what it sound likes..... i dont know if this will help you any but..... ya never know. :worthy: keep me informed if you guys know anything. ill post up when i pull the head and let you guys know whats going on...

ignition...just move it a little behind the 15 mark...you should be okay and the power loss shouldnt be too noticable.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

whoa, exact same thing happened to me, but no oil treatment, just flushed old engine out (lots of mileage, probably sludge build up and flushing it kinda mess things up?) put new oil in and ran it for a few weeks, ticking, busted oil pan and hole thru block

well i found another engine. its another z6 and it was free :thumbsup: so i took it. i love free parts. well anyways. its definatly knockin. im not drivin it so hopefully i can save the block and build the fuck out of it. :fosho: ive been workin my ass off and i havent had much time to work on it. i did do a compression test and it came up 160 across the board. is that good for a z6?? im lazy and i never went and got the haynes to look. since they were all the same i figured it was good. im gonna pull it out pretty soon hopefully. ill take pix and post them if i can find someone to teach me how to post pics. :newbie: thanks for all the help.

ok guys i havent got time to put the car on the lift yet but.. i got under it and saw oil leakin from the drain on the dust shield on the transmission. im pretty sure that would mean another rear main seal which i replaced 100 miles ago when i put in my clutch. my automechanics teacher says its the thrust bearing. if it does turn out to be a bearing, im going to put all new rod and main bearings it. what kind should i get??? i hear about king and acl all the time but im not sure of quality.

Back