Ls Crank Gsr Block?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dvs_prelude

Sup everyone,
I'm planning on buying an EG hatch with a GSR engine. I'm wondering, when I rebuild the block, can I swap the GSR crank with a fully balanced micropolished LS crank? It seems like it would work, but has anyone done this? My plan is to have the ultimate sleeper; a 2.0L GSR fully built with GE Godzilla sleeves bored to 84mm, 89mm stroke (LS crank) without the Frankenstein affect. I plan on using this car as my daily driver, so reliability is a must. It seems like it would work since I would be using the same specs as a B20B/Z, only with the propper oil galleys for VTEC.
What do you guys think?

i think it would be crazy motor...but u asked the same question i was wondering about....why go through so much trouble to make an ls vtec (because of the larger displacement) if u can put a ls crank and get the displacement on a gsr...without worring about make oil taps and so on for an ls vtec. My question i guess like dvs_prelude is that can u put an ls crank in a gsr. thanx

Yup. I'm doing that on my current engine build... I killed my B20/VTEC so I'm using a GE resleeved GSR block with my B20 crank in it. I'll be running a slightly larger bore though, along with some trick pistons and rods- it'll be even more rev happy than your typicaly B20/VTEC combo.

:D

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 4 2003, 01:54 AM
Yup. I'm doing that on my current engine build... I killed my B20/VTEC so I'm using a GE resleeved GSR block with my B20 crank in it. I'll be running a slightly larger bore though, along with some trick pistons and rods- it'll be even more rev happy than your typicaly B20/VTEC combo.

:D

When did you kill your B20? Sorry to hear that :( ...
Did you spin a rod bearing or something?

Originally posted by dvs_prelude@Feb 4 2003, 10:48 AM
When did you kill your B20? Sorry to hear that :( ...
Did you spin a rod bearing or something?

Forgot where the thread with pics was but he was racing a corvette, over reved it, ran funny then died. When they took the head off, #4 piston was all melted and there was alot of scoring on the sleve. The story about him racing the vette is in the kill's forum probally a page back titled "racing a vette when pissed is bad" something like that.

Originally posted by 22crazy@Feb 4 2003, 03:42 PM
just wondering...does the ls crank have enough clearence in its rotation in the gsr bottom end?

I remember reading somewhere that all B series blocks are identical except for different crankshafts and the larger bore on the B20... There shouldn't be clearance issues.

Originally posted by dvs_prelude+Feb 4 2003, 01:23 PM-->
@Feb 4 2003, 03:42 PM
just wondering...does the ls crank have enough clearence in its rotation in the gsr bottom end?

I remember reading somewhere that all B series blocks are identical except for different crankshafts and the larger bore on the B20... There shouldn't be clearance issues.

if you put a b20 crank in a b16a block, you will run into clearance issues.

By having an LS crank in a GSR, would there be limitations on how high the engine could rev because of the longer stroke? Is there anyway to make an LS crank stronger? :huh:

To answer questions...

The LS crank will fit in the GSR block with no problems. You don't need to strengthen the crank- it'll hold 500hp or more without any issues. What you have to worry about are the rods and pistons. The LS crank in the B16A block will have problems, since the B16A block is a bit shorter than the B18/B20/B16B blocks.

Yup. Go look for that thread. I'm sure chasing the Vette was just the "break point" on my ring failure... tons of stuff contributed to that well before the "incident". The rings ultimately failed 3 weeks later on my way down to Houston from Dallas, not during the race.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 5 2003, 05:40 AM
To answer questions...

The LS crank will fit in the GSR block with no problems. You don't need to strengthen the crank- it'll hold 500hp or more without any issues. What you have to worry about are the rods and pistons. The LS crank in the B16A block will have problems, since the B16A block is a bit shorter than the B18/B20/B16B blocks.

Yup. Go look for that thread. I'm sure chasing the Vette was just the "break point" on my ring failure... tons of stuff contributed to that well before the "incident". The rings ultimately failed 3 weeks later on my way down to Houston from Dallas, not during the race.

i thoguht the b16a and b16b were the same deck height? or was that the b17???

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 5 2003, 08:07 AM
i thoguht the b16a and b16b were the same deck height? or was that the b17???

That's probably the B16A and the B17A. The B16B uses the same block as the B18C.

GSR Block

So you want to stroke a GSR block. You should go with the 2.0 GSR engine block. The B20B LS crank will fit, you will have install after market rods that are the same length as stock B20B rods are. The pistons will depend on you intended use, all motor or Turbo !!!
When people do a V-TEC/LS conversion, many that go all motor use a modified high compession piston while keeping the stock rods....that would be the pistons you would be interested in if you go all motor, if you are going Turbo.... you will need shorter rods to decrease compression, install the GSR pistons for valve clearance!!! Follow the same instructions when putting a Turbo system on a B16A1 head/ B20B block.

I would encourage you to use the B16A1 head with the Type R intake, exhaust system, sensors and CPU.

Last edited:
So you want to stroke a GSR block. You should go with the 2.0 GSR engine block. The B20B LS crank will fit, you will have install after market rods that are the same length as stock B20B rods are. The pistons will depend on you intended use, all motor or Turbo !!!
When people do a V-TEC/LS conversion, many that go all motor use a modified high compession piston while keeping the stock rods....that would be the pistons you would be interested in if you go all motor, if you are going Turbo.... you will need shorter rods to decrease compression, install the GSR pistons for valve clearance!!! Follow the same instructions when putting a Turbo system on a B16A1 head/ B20B block.

I would encourage you to use the B16A1 head with the Type R intake, exhaust system, sensors and CPU.

:confused: Wow. Just wow.

Ummm. ya run a stock type r ecu with a custom engine with more displacement... :huh:

wtf?

calesta i thought the ls crank needed to be modified before you could just install it?

What I am saying is, any one can go to a large auto parts house and purchase an 2.0 GSR assembled engine block without the head and purchase an assembeled B16A1 head, specify which year and model, certain years and models had higher HP ratings.

If you are low on experience, start with a honda V-TEC car, you will need the external engine parts from a car with a complete engine etc., unless you like going to the wrecking yard!!

I chose an Type R CPU cause it cost me $20.00 at the auto wrecking yard. Now that I have the car up and running, I already have installed an AEM CPU for better map control

As far as the cam goes, any cam that you would put in a GSR is still a good choice!!

What I am saying is, any one can go to a large auto parts house and purchase an 2.0 GSR assembled engine block without the head and purchase an assembeled B16A1 head, specify which year and model, certain years and models had higher HP ratings.

If you are low on experience, start with a honda V-TEC car, you will need the external engine parts from a car with a complete engine etc., unless you like going to the wrecking yard!!

I chose an Type R CPU cause it cost me $20.00 at the auto wrecking yard. Now that I have the car up and running, I already have installed an AEM CPU for better map control

As far as the cam goes, any cam that you would put in a GSR is still a good choice!!

So you upgraded your car with a PC in it??

What I was trying to say was there's no such thing as a 2.0 GSR block!!!! GSR pistons won't fit a 2.0 block, don't use shorter rods to decrease compression ,use dished pistons. Don't go around giving people mis-information that they might regret and might be costly.

The GSR was only offered as a 1.8liter. If you are going to spend the cash on an aftermarket 2.0 block then why not just build the whole thing.

P.S. Its cheaper to get a b20 block and do a crvtec/b20vtec.

Last edited:
Sup everyone,
I'm planning on buying an EG hatch with a GSR engine. I'm wondering, when I rebuild the block, can I swap the GSR crank with a fully balanced micropolished LS crank? It seems like it would work, but has anyone done this? My plan is to have the ultimate sleeper; a 2.0L GSR fully built with GE Godzilla sleeves bored to 84mm, 89mm stroke (LS crank) without the Frankenstein affect. I plan on using this car as my daily driver, so reliability is a must. It seems like it would work since I would be using the same specs as a B20B/Z, only with the propper oil galleys for VTEC.
What do you guys think?
i've done it, and that thing was a monster. You have to use LS rods and check the clearence of the oil squirters in the GSR block and you'll b good to go. Good luck with your build.

you'll have to use the LS rods and check clearence of the oil squirters in the GSr block. I;ve done it and that thing was monster.

Back