ls/vtec help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

k, i decided to go wit an ls/vtec set up, but the problem is my bottom end has 151,000 miles on it. i really dont have the money to build up the bottom, so i was wondering if can keep the bottom end stock and still run the vtec head. nothing really wrong wit the car, she still pulls hard, so do you guys think i should rebuild the bottom? any help would be appreciated...

Basically do a compression test on the bottom end. If that checks out you might be able to get away with it. If I was you I would save up some more money and build up the bottom end. Why have a weak link in your system.

I would really reccomend saving until you have the money. It would be really sad to spend a lot of time and money on a VTEC head swap just to have your bottom end fail and you spin a rod bearing or worse. At the very least you need VTEC pistons. The LS pistons will not clear the VTEC valves with cams bigger than B16 Automatic.

Back