LsVtec External Oil Line???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ado

Hey guys

I am planning on building a LsVtec this winter while my car is in storage, And I know what I need to do, and have done a lot of research on what is all going to have to be done.

My question is related to the External oil line that has to be made on the Ls block and attached to the head...It is suppose to be because the oil pump of the Ls is a POS and can't bump the pressure to 55 when the Vtec kicks in, But in my repair manual for the Integra it says and I quote " The difference between the base engine and their Vtec counterparts is strictly in the components and opperation of the valve train. The engine block, oiling and cooling systems are identical, as are all the components"....So from this it is saying that all the stuff is the same and that realitivly the external oil line is not needed...So why am I puttin it in again, is this a lie in the book, that they don't want to explain the difference or is this true???...Because I know how to make the oil line I just don't know if it is needed...thanks

One other small thing..where is the water neck located on the head, and how do I modify it, to make the oil line fit...thanks

-Adiran

Hey

Yah that was my Haynes, manual. I just posted on here because my dad, who Is supposed to be helping me build the engine(12 years of racing experience), but hes not really into imports and when he saw that they were supposedly identical, he was all hung up on that we don't need to make the oil line...he's all sketchy of doing it, because of the tapping of the block and head, but from what I have heard you basically need to or shit its the fan...What about getting a new oil pump..would this work( my dad told me to ask it)

-Adrian

-External Oil Line

You will need an oil line running from the back of the block to somewhere on the head. This will substitute for the vtec oil galley which raises the oil pressure once vtec hits, to about 55psi.

Tap the block where the oil pressure sensor is on the back of the block with a 1/8" tap. Now here is where a few options come in.

Method 1. **Do this only to get the engine running if you dont have the funds or time to run stainless lines!**
(1) T-fitting with ONE Female and TWO Male thread sections with 1/8" NPT threads all the way around
(1) 90 Degree bent elbow fitting with an 1/8" NPT male thread
(1) Straight fitting with 1/8" NPT male thread
AND 3 feet of 3/8" fuel line for the hose which you can cut to fit.
(all parts above can be purchased at Pep Boys)

FOR THE BLOCK...

What you do is screw the t-fitting into the block. Use teflon tape to seal the piece at the block. Then screw the elbow fitting into the end of the T-fitting and use more teflon tape to seal. Now you can screw the Oil Pressure Sensor into the top of the T-fitting and again seal it with teflon. From hear you can run a rubber fuel line to the fitting in the head.

FOR THE HEAD...

You can tap the head just under the water neck. This works well but you might need to slightly modify the water neck to make room for the fitting. Again use the 1/8" NPT tap. Now screw the straight piece into the head and seal it. Here you can then run the 3/8" fuel line to the elbow piece at the block and use hose clamps to clamp it off.

Draw Backs to Method 1

Reason 1. Running the hose clamps on the fuel line and fittings, two times the clamps have loosened causing an oil leak on my own setup. I havent had the problem however, since re-tightening the clamps.

Reason 2. There is a possibility that the t fitting will break due to stress. This would be a nice thing to avoid which is why I recommend stainless braided hoses and fittings.

Method 2.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

-Run Stainless Steel Braided hoses and fittings which can all be purchased through Summit Racing.
But use -4AN Line with 1/8" NPT threaded fittings. Here is how they SHOULD be run.
-Use a straight piece at the block this time and then run into the braided line. take this line to the firewall bolt it up somewhere and THEN use a T-fitting. There you can screw in the Oil Pressure Sensor and run the Stainless line to the head where another piece will sit. THIS will prevent BOTH of the above problems from happening to you.

from our FAQ on ls/vtec
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...act=ST&f=1&t=11

Back